Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?

Article about: by Datrus Very nice decal. I agree

Default re: M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?

Quote by Datrus View Post
    Very nice decal.
    I agree

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?
    P
    Many

I've got to admit that looks a lot better even with just water...... nice job mate. I look forward to the results with acid.

Hi Wayne,
    You might want to reference this thread before embarking on an oxalic treatment, plenty of instruction and warnings there! Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?
    Cheers
    Glenn

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Hi Wayne,
    You might want to reference this thread before embarking on an oxalic treatment, plenty of instruction and warnings there! Relic M35 rust removal, electrolysis or oxalic acid?
    Cheers
    Glenn
    Yes there is good chance that the decal might disappear no matter the cleaning method. That was why i wrote "if you don't care about the decal".

Hi Guys i have ordered the oxalic acid and will try it out a rusted up m42 i got along with this one..i know this may sound stupid but does the rust just fall away or would i have to scrubb the rust away??..i REALLY dont want to ruin one single helmet in any way shape or form.i just want rid of the rust.......
    regards
    Wayne

?

Clean all the rust "cakes" off first. Soak in acid and scrub, soak in acid and scrub...

Yep, the rust isn't going to just float away, this stuff isn't magic. Thats why you have to consider the effect on paint and decals, its a harsh solution that you have to immerse the helmet in for many hours.

?

You can use Scotch Brite, nylon brushes and so. Don't forget the rubber gloves and don't wear you Sunday clothing.

Cool re: M40 Luftwaffe relic: should i use acid?

Ok i will carry on using warm soapy water for now and when the acid arrives i will test it first on a very small area of a helmet and see what happen's to the small treated area..the helmet that i have shown pics of is odd becuse the decal is on the mega rusted side and the otherside has the most paint...i have got rubber gloves and safety glasses and i will wash it in the back garden i'll even use a metal bucket rather than the cheap plactic ones lol
    Wayne

?

Wayne , if you have'nt already, please read the similar thread at the bottom of this page, Dangers of Oxalic Acid, ordinary rubber gloves are not advised

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast