MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here

M40 Relic, your advice please!!!!!

Article about: Hi, I recently aquired this M40 helmet shell from a local car boot sale. I do not usually collect "battle field relics" but have long fancied a relic helmet to display with the oth

Default M40 Relic, your advice please!!!!!

Hi, I recently aquired this M40 helmet shell from a local car boot sale. I do not usually collect "battle field relics" but have long fancied a relic helmet to display with the other helmets in my collection. The helmet is heavily and evenly corroded but still has its shape and is structuraly sound. There are the remains of a liner still with the retaining clips. I can see no evidence of either paintwork nor decals but given its condition this is hardly surprising. There is a small round hole in the shell which may have been caused either by rusting through, shrapnel or a bullet? For those with experience of relitic items, may I ask for your advice please???

1. Clean it or leave it alone?? My initial instinct is the latter.
    2. In order to preserve its attraction, at least to me, would you oil, varnish or again leave it alone?
    3. Any other suggestions or comments please???

Thank you in advance for any of your thoughts or opinions.
    Regards and best wishes Michael R

M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 Relic,  your advice please!!!!!
    P
    Many

?

Hi Mike,
    Nic salty relic you have there with lots of characrter, I would say leave it, firstly beacuse it looks better, espcially for such a display and secondly with it in that state there is not much you can do.

I am not a big fan of them persay but have two in my collection, although they are are less corroded I would leave it personally. I can't give much advice on how to store or preserve it best as UI have left mine alone.

best,

Oli

Hi Oly, Thank you for your comments. It is the crusty corrosion that I like and will almost certainly leave well alone!!
    Thank you once again MR

PS, Any thoughts on the hole???

?

I am not too sure but to me it doesn't look like shrapnel but I could be wrong. I have two helmets with what I believe to be shrapnel damage and the metal is more ripped. Perhaps it could be a bullet hole but there appears to be no impact flaring? Another option could be the shell has rusted through. Is it the metal thinner around the hole?

Hi Michael ,personally I would not treat the helmet in any way , the rust is old and no longer appears to be "active" as it is not red in colour, all you need do is keep it in a nice stable environment in you house, such as a cabinet. As for the hole I cannot see any flares/fractures etc so I would say it is more likely to be a rust hole. All the best ,Leon.

Now I like my relic lids as much as the next guy but daaaamn, that's salty!

I'd say give it a clean it still looks solid enough and it does look like shrapnel not just a rust hole.

hi Gents, Thank you for your comments and opinions. All are valued and appreciated!!!!!
    Thanks again. Michael R