Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

M40 semi relic

Article about: G'day guys, i have this M40 i was trying to identify. The stampings i can see clearly is N and possibly a 3 but before the N appears to be a D any ideas?

Default M40 semi relic

G'day guys, i have this M40 i was trying to identify. The stampings i can see clearly is N and possibly a 3 but before the N appears to be a D any ideas?M40 semi relicM40 semi relicM40 semi relicM40 semi relic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 semi relic
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: M40 semi relic

Hello Woodsnake,

Unfortunately, I couldn't see anything on your attached photographs. However, is it possible that the helmet is marked "NS" rather than "N3"...?

If so, then the helmet could be identified as a Vereinigte Deutsche Nikelwerke example from Schwerte.

Regards,

Carl

"DN" is a prefix commonly found in front of the lot numbers. It looks to me like it might be a Quist. Could you post a closeup of one of the air vents?

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    "DN" is a prefix commonly found in front of the lot numbers. It looks to me like it might be a Quist. Could you post a closeup of one of the air vents?
    Yes Mo, that's right. I was forgetting the prefix frequently used over the production numbers. Maybe the Saturday morning coffee hasn't kicked in yet! In all likelihood, it's the batch code DN____ found at the rear and not the maker's mark and size code NS__ found at the side.

Regards

Carl

Thankyou Carl, theres no way you could see the markings with my camera, and i thought NS also, but i was looking around earlier and think it might be a Quist as i saw one and the lot or batch number started with DN and funnily enough a 3! and thanks for thr info on NS i would'nt have had a clue what NS represented, i looked on you tube for videos and pics of the helmet factories but there is very little information, thanks again it's always nice to get a reply.

Cheers Phill

Mo your right on yhe money I now think its a Quist also

?

I really like this relic. The wire really makes it pop! Not to mention, the outer liner is in pretty fair condition and could be restored if you buy an original inner liner and chinstrap, it could display well. Have you ID'd the shell size yet? It kinda looks like a Q60 or 62.Compare to the look of mine.Thanks for sharing W-Snake!
    ~Dean
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M40 semi relic   M40 semi relic  

?

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Thankyou Carl, theres no way you could see the markings with my camera, and i thought NS also, but i was looking around earlier and think it might be a Quist as i saw one and the lot or batch number started with DN and funnily enough a 3! and thanks for thr info on NS i would'nt have had a clue what NS represented, i looked on you tube for videos and pics of the helmet factories but there is very little information, thanks again it's always nice to get a reply.

Cheers Phill
    You're welcome Phill, happy to oblige.

As for the information regarding the markings and their respective places of origin, please see the list below...

ET/ckl - Eisenhuttenwerke, Thale
    FS/EF - Emaillierwerke A.G., Fulda
    NS - Vereinigte Deutsche Nikelwerke, Schwerte
    Q - Quist, Esslingen
    SE/hkp - Sachsische Emailleer und Stanzwerke, Lauter

For shell sizes...

60 - (XS)
    62 - (S)
    64 - (M) the most common size, approximately 40 percent (10,000,000!) of wartime helmets produced were 64's
    66 - (L)
    68 - (XL)
    70 - (XXL)

Hope that this is useful.

Regards,

Carl

?

Dont forget the little known maker marks, ie QVL=Karl Heisler Berlin, bvl= Bergman & Co TH Abt Automaton un Metallwaren Fabrikation Hamburg Altanao Qvi -bvi = Czechoslovakian Factory made

Sweet lid Dean by my tape it's a 64 and i am considering restoring it, i have a new inner ring but i'm not sure if i want to remove the rivets cos i'm sure the tags would break off and i have a post war ilner fhat looks fantastic in it, i'm just not sure wich way to go.

Cheers Phill

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast