Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

M40 semi relic

Article about: G'day guys, i have this M40 i was trying to identify. The stampings i can see clearly is N and possibly a 3 but before the N appears to be a D any ideas?

Default Re: M40 semi relic

Quote by WOODSNAKE View Post
    Sweet lid Dean by my tape it's a 64 and i am considering restoring it, i have a new inner ring but i'm not sure if i want to remove the rivets cos i'm sure the tags would break off and i have a post war ilner fhat looks fantastic in it, i'm just not sure wich way to go.

Cheers Phill
    If this were my helmet, I would leave it as it is. It has a really nice look to it and with all that pitting, a repaint would not look so good.

Just my advice.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M40 semi relic
    P
    Many

Thats awesome Carl, i appreciate you taking the time to supply me with the information your a gentleman

All the best
    Phill

Thanks Bud i kinda like it the way it is myself, but i know me too and anythings possible

Quote by davejb View Post
    Dont forget the little known maker marks, ie QVL=Karl Heisler Berlin, bvl= Bergman & Co TH Abt Automaton un Metallwaren Fabrikation Hamburg Altanao Qvi -bvi = Czechoslovakian Factory made

?

I wouldn't touch it either Phill to be honest. Personally, I believe that it would lose all the character that it has. The wire adds so much too, if you were to repaint it then it would not look so good. The pitting is quite heavy so after a repaint, the overall look would not be that impressive. For a repaint project, I would suggest finding a cheap(ish) helmet that has a good surface. Maybe a police lid for example, nice coat of black, slap on some decals and there you go. Alternatively, a half decent combat shell that doesn't break the bank, but again, with a good surface to work on...that's the key.

Regards

Carl

M40 semi relicM40 semi relicM40 semi relicM40 semi relicM40 semi relicM40 semi relicM40 semi relicYou mean one like this

?

Blimey that is one shiny lid you have there! You could use it as a mirror for when you get shaved!

C

?

Quote by ObKrieger View Post
    If this were my helmet, I would leave it as it is. It has a really nice look to it and with all that pitting, a repaint would not look so good.

Just my advice.
    I agree with Mo this lid would be completely ruined by a repaint and the value it has as an original wire relic would be lost,

cheers

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

LOL and had, i sold it awhile ago but i took the shine of it with some 1200 wet and dry sand paper,but i like the showroom look

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2