Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 relic

Article about: I recently finally took the plunge and purchased myself my first combat lid. It looks to me to be an M42 relic with liner band and liner remnants still inside. According to the seller it was

Default M42 relic

I recently finally took the plunge and purchased myself my first combat lid. It looks to me to be an M42 relic with liner band and liner remnants still inside. According to the seller it was ground dug in Normandy. I'm tremendously pleased with it but just had a few questions to put to the experts on the forum.
    For a start there appears to be a metal band running round the front of the helmet. Were these simply for reinforcement or where they used as mounts for attachments or something similar?
    In addition, it looks like it may have been painted or treated post-excavation. Is this normal for preserving relic helmets?
    The liner is very delicate (obviously) and is attached by a few thin strips of leather. How would you recommend displaying it? It looks pretty stupid upside down!
    Apologies for the poor quality of the photos!

M42 relicM42 relicM42 relicM42 relic

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 relic
    P
    Many

Hi, the "metal band" looks like the remains of a rubber band used to hold foliage for camoflage now fused to the shell. Not often seen and a real bonus for a relic shell. Helmet could have been waxed, oiled or lacquered to stop the rusting. I would make a round base with a wooden dowel that contacted only the shell to display it.
    A good start, well done!

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thanks for the reply! I'll take a look at the band after work. Its little things like that that really appeal to me when it comes to relics; you generally find them as they were the day they were lost, with all the weird little modifications and personalisations the owners gave them that people would probably remove from a bring-back or stored lid to keep it in 'mint' condition. I'll take your advice on displaying it , the last thing I want is the liner falling out or too much pressure being put on the rim!
    I'll also ask the seller where exactly he found it; now that I've bought the thing I doubt he'll make up a stupid story to increase the value.
    Now to save for the next lid! A post-war reissue would be fun, they're cheap and have a bit of history to them.

Dan called it right.