Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

M42 SD 'sorta' relic

Article about: Hiya all, Another!!! has come into the stable - this one from forum member 'BOWLIN7178' via the classifieds. ( Sorry about the glare but it just arrived and I had to take some pix - the rema

Default M42 SD 'sorta' relic

Hiya all,

Another!!! has come into the stable - this one from forum member 'BOWLIN7178' via the classifieds.
    ( Sorry about the glare but it just arrived and I had to take some pix - the remaining colour is that slate / field grey colour of late M42's )

A nice semi-relic'd M42 with an unknown maker ( too feint to read ) and a nice bullet strike to it ( which on some earlier M35 or M40 shells would have cracked it ) Has a good proportion of decal left and the only Heer M42 I have with one.

Cheers to #28, hope you like it!
    Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture M42 SD 'sorta' relic   M42 SD 'sorta' relic  

M42 SD 'sorta' relic   M42 SD 'sorta' relic  

M42 SD 'sorta' relic  
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement M42 SD 'sorta' relic
    P
    Many

Default Re: M42 SD 'sorta' relic

That decals in pretty good order considering it's a semi relic,good buy!

Amazed on how the decal is there but the paint isn't!

?

Paint is there, it's an overexposed pic and these "barn find" helmets usually the paint is quite faded and a lot of patination.

Quote by DougB View Post
    Paint is there, it's an overexposed pic and these "barn find" helmets usually the paint is quite faded and a lot of patination.
    Yeah, sorry guys - I did say I photographed it in a rush outside and it was sunny and I will do clearer ones this weekend - but it does have about 50% paint. As Doug says, this had atmospheric exposure and that has lifted the paint with corrosion showing through. We seem to forget that these were utilitarian items with NO undercoat applied to them - if you did the same to your car, the same would happen in a far shorter time-frame!! The paint solids are not enough to stop the oxygen laden moisture from permeating through to the substrate of the metal and causing the rusting......( gee I'm using big words in this post .... )

The only helmets these days with good non-rusted surfaces are those found indoors or in dry attics and collections where they have been cherished over the years.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

very nice dan

That's a nice one Dan, barely a relic. The bullet strike is cool. You have a few lids that gave the wearer at least a headache now!