Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

My D-Day helmet ........

Article about: In my relic helmet collection I have this M35. I originally got it from a fellow who picked it up many years ago in the area of Ver-Sur-Mere, ( Gold Beach ) half buried in sand near an obser

Default My D-Day helmet ........

In my relic helmet collection I have this M35. I originally got it from a fellow who picked it up many years ago in the area of Ver-Sur-Mere, ( Gold Beach ) half buried in sand near an observation bunker. In subsequent emails he said he was on holiday in the 1980's in Normandy and found the helmet in a scrubby area between the beach and the main road when he stopped to answer a call of nature!!!

A nice story that I cannot prove or disprove but his detail was pretty specific - so I tend to believe it. The salt certainly got to half of it and the protected side ( I assumed this was the buried side ) has been cleaned but has a nice tricolour remaining. It is an early M35 with brass rivets and originally had an aluminium liner band.

There is a number ( 53 i think ) which I assume is a garrison number?? - I've seen numbers on gas masks for when they were left in barracks but helmets??
    Also the apple green paint has really blackened from the reaction with the ground / sand / etc....

Anyway, on this 70th anniversary of the event, this is my personal souvenir regardless of whether it was lost before, on, or after the 6th June 1944.

Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My D-Day helmet ........   My D-Day helmet ........  

My D-Day helmet ........   My D-Day helmet ........  

My D-Day helmet ........   My D-Day helmet ........  

" I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My D-Day helmet ........
    P
    Many

nice one

Nice piece!