Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid

Article about: After seeing a couple of threads showing helmets being cleaned up with citric acid and vinegar I thought I'd give it a go too. I went for the citric acid method because I didn't fancy the vi

?

Default My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid

After seeing a couple of threads showing helmets being cleaned up with citric acid and vinegar I thought I'd give it a go too. I went for the citric acid method because I didn't fancy the vinegar smell.

Unfortunately I left my only German WWII helmet in the solution for too long, if any of the original paint was there, it isn't now but if I can find another cheap relic I'll give it another go. I'm a WWI collector so have little to no experience with WWII gear, especially German so if I'm wrong in calling this relic a M40 please let me know.

I forgot to take before pics so those below are from after it came out of the bucket and was scrubbed with a brush, and then immediately after a light coating of linseed oil.

Tony
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid   My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid  

My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid   My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid  

My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid   My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid
    P
    Many

From what I can see it is an M40, the difference from an M35 being the inclusion in the pressing of the shell the two vent holes on the side. The later M42 helmet has an unrolled (raw edge) to the rim. You haven't lost a lot in your experiment as it is only a relic shell. Better luck on the next experiment.

Looks like it's as clean as you're going to get it now regardless of what method you used. Results look fine. Get'er on display and enjoy it!

?

Blackcat, thanks for confirming the model.

Yep, that's as good as it'll get and luckily I like it for what it is

Nothing wrong with relics!

My first attempt at cleaning with citric acid

?

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    Nothing wrong with relics!
    Mate, if I could turn a relic into something like any of them after a soak and a clean I'd very happy.

I always use white vinegar to clean my relics but have a problem stopping the rust reforming. The linseed oil finish looks good so I may try that.

Quote by Salzburg View Post
    I always use white vinegar to clean my relics but have a problem stopping the rust reforming. The linseed oil finish looks good so I may try that.
    Trust me, ive tried lots of stuff and linseed is a winner. It dries after a few weeks into a film, so you can handle it without washing your hands after. Great stuff

Great work tony on your restoration and i have to agree with glenn ,nothing wrong with relics
    Last edited by James C; 01-24-2016 at 09:16 PM.

?

Quote by James C View Post
    Great work tony on your restoration and i have to agree with glenn ,nothing wrong with relics
    Thanks James.

I have lots of relics, all from WWI apart from the odd WWII Mills and have used electrolysis in the past on heavy lumps of metal. Hopefully i can pick up a cheap helmet sooner rather than later to have another go at this new method (for me) of cleaning, but even relic helmets seem to be getting expensive for what they are.

Tony

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast