Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!

Article about: So cool to see the mail truck pull up with the box from Estonia. Ebay seller, said the lid was dug on the Tannenberg line. The condition is OK, has quite a bit of paint visible. I'm curious

Default Re: My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!

Franz, the way that white is spread over the pins and the helmet, I would say it's remnants of paint. If it was a naturally occurring mineral or something from the ground, it would be spread more uniformly over the helmet. Any white on the inside?

Jay

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My FIRST lid... at least I know it's AUTHENTIC!!
    P
    Many

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    Franz, the way that white is spread over the pins and the helmet, I would say it's remnants of paint. If it was a naturally occurring mineral or something from the ground, it would be spread more uniformly over the helmet. Any white on the inside?

Jay
    no white on the inside... It really looks like a stripe. But the white stuff is pretty thick and looks dry and flaky like a mineral deposit. Almost like the helmets were stacked post-dig and something was inside the helmet on top of this one.

update: I scratched the white stuff with my finger. It comes right off. I'm 99% it's just lime. If I soaked the helmet in a mild acidic solution (vinegar+water) it would probably come right off. So I wonder if I should leave it, or try to clean it up. Could helmets have been stacked in the field? Was lime used in mass burials? Did the lime get there post-dig or is it period?

Quote by FranzJon View Post
    check him out... he's got some more up for sale now including a really decent M35.
    That is a nice M35!

Or should I say 'was'...it's on its way to me now!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    That is a nice M35!

Or should I say 'was'...it's on its way to me now!
    congrats! It looked exceptional for a dug helmet. He even left some mud on it. Please post some pics when you get it in your hands. Are you going to clean it up?

These seem good to me. The guy does not add a lot of hype and the bids are reasonable. I may buy something from this seller if he has more after the new year.

Quote by FranzJon View Post
    congrats! It looked exceptional for a dug helmet. He even left some mud on it. Please post some pics when you get it in your hands. Are you going to clean it up?
    I'm planning to. I'm just exploring the pros and cons of Oxalic acid versus electrolysis to decide on which method to try. There seemed to be a hint of decal left on the helmet so i'd really like to ensure that remains after any cleaning.

Apparantly it's another Tannenburg line relic so if I assume thats true, she's got a bit of history behind her!

bump to see if anyone else has an idea what this white stripe is...

It's dry and soft. I can take my finger nail and it comes right off like a powder. I'd describe it as "thick and chalky"

But as I look at the helmet you can see places on the helmet where the white stuff "used to be" and the paint finish is different.

The chemical test would be easy... take a cup of 50% white vinegar/water and toothbrush a small spot. If it's Lime, etc... it will dissolve very fast.

I think it is what is left of a winter lime based white wash.

Cheers, Ade.

Quote by Adrian Stevenson View Post
    I think it is what is left of a winter lime based white wash.

Cheers, Ade.
    thanks Ade, was lime based whitewash a common field "paint"?

White wash was much more commom than using white paint, the beauty of it being that it could be much easier removed with a scrubbing brush and avoided the need to repaint the helmet come the spring.

Cheers, Ade.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast