Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

My first stahlhelm- relic M42

Article about: by DougB Welcome to the addiction! As for the gas can all I can say was bullshit but the seller stuck to his story like white on rice, sort of like the Uncle Tony con job that was here recen

?

Default Re: My first stahlhelm- relic M42

PS if you want a helmet with traceable history acquire a helmet with a Feldpost number and researchable name written in the liner or painted on the skirt. Then you have something to sink your teeth into.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My first stahlhelm- relic M42
    P
    Many

Quote by DougB View Post
    It is not apple green because M42s were never painted applegreen from the factory. They were all painted in feldgrau typically with a rough finish. From the paint it is pretty much impossible to tell if Police, SS, Heer, Luftwaffe, KM or even used in one of the non combat organizations. But I would say it is most likely a Heer based upon simple probability.
    Being an M42 denotes only a model number which started in the year of production and these were made right up until 1945. Southern France is a story as well, there is no proof or provenance linking the helmet to Southern France.

So what you have is a relic in pretty decent shape of a German M42 helmet and I am afraid to say that it really has lost it's history at this point, anything said about this helmet is 100% total speculation and conjecture.

That means you can imagine it being worn by a heavily decorated senior NCO leading his men into hard defensive battles or it was worn by a 59 year old Volksturm whose main task was latrine duty each day, your choice! But thats the fun of a helmet like this, you will never know so any story is plausible.
    I'm still learning Doug, I believe you about the apple green, guess I see people throw that color name out a lot, hey I'm still learning, I pay attenion to your posts because I know that your word is the truth on what you post, thanks for the info on apple green, all these years I thought the helmets were supposed to be more towards a gray color. thanks again.
    regards Marty

?

No worries Marty, we are all learning every day! Apple green was used from 1935 to 1939 with pea green in 1938 I believe. When the M40 was brought into production the production color changed to schiffergrau, there are so many shades of grey that it gets very confusing. Frank is a real expert with paint colors and tones for the various manufacturers as he collects by manufacturer and model. Me, I love the apple green and pea green of the M35s! And of course anything with those lightning bolts on the side!

thanks for the info Doug, I learned something today& I agree, anything with the lightning bolts are always #1 to me. I really like anything to do with the Waffen SS.

Yes Doug is right, Here is my personal example of what the pre 1939 green would have looked like. Even though mine is quite salty you still can see it easily.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My first stahlhelm- relic M42  

Quote by DougB View Post
    PS if you want a helmet with traceable history acquire a helmet with a Feldpost number and researchable name written in the liner or painted on the skirt. Then you have something to sink your teeth into.
    I've always wanted to own such a piece, but usually it's been the case that they're out of my current price range, or they've turned out to be fake. As for buying one at a militaria fair (in person), I'm far from experienced enough to risk that unfortunately. Due to encountering so many fakes previously, I still felt a little nervous buying this one, even with little risk.

In regards to the dealer telling me where the helmet was found, I believe him just because I see no motive to make that up. I know that you should 'buy the item, not it's story' and I did, he just told me this is where he bought it from someone (I asked for background on it, and this was all he knew). I guess it wasn't necessarily found there, but it's what I assume to be most likely. I do appreciate though that we can only speculate.

?

No worries, not trying to rain on the parade either, just it is so important to look critically at every piece of information with respects for collecting, I have been offered the gas can that was used to douse gasoline on Adolf Hitler and Eva Braun. And I am not joking either!
    As for sellers having no motive, well something is far easier to sell if they can attach some little piece of information to it including where it was found. And it well may be the gospel truth. My experience however is somewhat more jaded and I rarely take table sellers at fairs at their word, so like you say buy the helmet and not the story.

I would say 90% of the TR militaria is a collection of loose items with the history lost forever so your helmet is not unusual in that respect.

if you ever get the chance to find an authentic named or unit marked helmet I would jump at it, as the research into the man or the unit is so very rewarding!

Cheers
    Doug

Hi Mat, congrats on your first helmet! You display a good attitude about this stuff and it will serve you well in the future. Take on board what Doug has said and you won't go far wrong. Hopefully it will be the first of many! Don't worry about overpaying a bit this time. I can tell you a story: I bought a semi relic camo shell in Normandy in 1989. I paid £40 for it back then. After I bought it from the farmer, I thought "I must be nuts!" but in the long run, it has paid off.

Enjoy your buy.

Cheers, Ade.

Doug- the gas can, that's quite a claim to make up. Who did they hope to fool!?

Ade- thanks! Not bad at all on the helmet purchase. When I was buying my helmet, the dealer told me when he was young his dad bought him one just like mine to play with, for £3... I was tempted to suggest he charge me that for nostalgia's sake with mine, but I don't think he'd have gone for it. haha
    I also heard a man at the fair saying he's made more money in his life investing in militaria than with property, and I can imagine that!

I definitely do intend this helmet to be the first of a few.
    Mat

?

Welcome to the addiction! As for the gas can all I can say was bullshit but the seller stuck to his story like white on rice, sort of like the Uncle Tony con job that was here recently. So, always remember to view the helmet with a discriminating eye and ear!

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast