Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id

Article about: Well guys after 20 days of waiting my relic helmet has arrived in one piece, this helmet is named and is unit marked 385 infantry division and was dug from a bunker in Novaya Kalitva in Russ

Default My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id

Well guys after 20 days of waiting my relic helmet has arrived in one piece, this helmet is named and is unit marked 385 infantry division and was dug from a bunker in Novaya Kalitva in Russia, this helmet is a prime Canadate for cleaning, the split pins are intact but liner band is shot and brittle, I can see the pea green under the heavy dirt and surface rust and decal looks to be intact,I can't make out markers mark or lot number due to surface rust around that area, now big question do I keep it as is or have it clean by a pro and protected from anymore rust My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id
    P
    Many

In this case I only removed the accumulated surface-dirt with warm water & dish-soap, a dish-scrubbing pad....No Additives, No Preservatives...You've got an interesting relic Stahlhelm, and I recommend leaving it as it is besides cleaning...
    cheers, Glenn
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id   My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id  

My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id   My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id  

Glenn, was that just by using dish soap? That's looks great how yours turn out,when I seen this helmet I had to have it and price was right ($130 shipped) so just use dish soap and pad then?

Quote by chevyfan2k9 View Post
    Glenn, was that just by using dish soap? That's looks great how yours turn out,when I seen this helmet I had to have it and price was right ($130 shipped) so just use dish soap and pad then?
    Yes, warm water, a bit of regular dish-soap, and one of those common green scrub-pads, and get rid of the surface dirt...
    You may be able to decipher the Feldpostnummer & Name after cleaning for further research....
    cheers, Glenn

I agree with Glenn - but yours is a little more rusted than his. Get into it with soap and water and a scouring pad (seriously it wont destroy it ) and you may be surpised at how well it tutns out.
    Go easy where the name is though!
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Thank you Glenn, you been a big help, I had others tell me to do the acid treatment but I was afraid that would ruin the helmet and take off the patina, the liner band is pretty much shot on it and just going to leave it alone and just do the outside like you said so just a regular green pad not a brush right

Thanks Dan, got all three already already, do just run it under warm water and start scrubbing or did you have yours in a Bucket with dish soap Glenn

Bucket of warm water, soap up the bugger and start scrubbing!!! When the waters dirtier than the helmet, time to stop.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

If the soap/water doesn't bring up the result you want then I would be promoting a bath in vinegar. Slow working and not too invasive. Depending how that works, you can try oxalic acid as a 3rd step.

If it ever comes to cleaning with acid I would use citric before messing with the very harsh and dangerous oxalic --- nice relic btw, good luck!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast