Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id

Article about: Well guys after 20 days of waiting my relic helmet has arrived in one piece, this helmet is named and is unit marked 385 infantry division and was dug from a bunker in Novaya Kalitva in Russ

mpw
    ?

I do hope by dish soap you guys are not referring to liquid soap that we clean the dishes with as this contains salt and unless rinsed thoroughly with fresh water will start corrosion.
    When cleaning or at the start of restoration it is always best to start very gently with weak solutions slowly increasing as required or else permanent damage may occur
    Great relic and good luck with the cleaning. Looking forward to seeing your results.

Regards, Mark.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id
    P
    Many

Quote by slados28 View Post
    If it ever comes to cleaning with acid I would use citric before messing with the very harsh and dangerous oxalic --- nice relic btw, good luck!
    Absolutely, oxalic is very dangerous, I read up that lemon acid aka citric acid does about the same and not harmful, I just going to go with Glenn and Dan advice and just clean it up just alittle to bring out alittle more detail without taking away the patina

Quote by chevyfan2k9 View Post
    just clean it up just alittle to bring out alittle more detail without taking away the patina
    Always important, clean it too much and it's ultimately ruined as a relic... the patina really counts --- a fine balance.

Glenn what type of dish soap did you use?, just want to make sure I get the right stuff

Just use hand soap then if you are worried but the salts that have already done the corrosion are still present and active so a good wash & scrub will not make the situation worse. Then keep it in a dry place.
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Ok Dan, maybe I should just leave it as is, rust is not getting any worse and I have it in a ac climate but would love to see what's under all that crud and surface rust

Funny how people panic at the mention of oxalic acid, as long as one wears rubber gloves in a ventilated space there is nothing to worry about.

I have used oxalic acid to good effect - as Glenn says - but many are scared off by doomsayers so I steered you clear of it.

This is the stuff you can buy off the shelf at the big hardware chain here in Orstraylia ... and long as you aren't a complete drongo and drink / sniff the stuff you are OK. Glove up like Happy Harold here and you'll be fine!!

If not, stay with the soap & water
    Cheers, Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id  
    Attached Images Attached Images My m40 heer helmet named and unit marked 385th id 
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

?

Nice Helmet...

?

hey guys what about cleaning with ordinary vinegar (kitchen used type)
    i saw some amazing results with it

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast