Militaria-Reisig & Antiquitäten - Top
Display your banner here

A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage

Article about: Hello I got this week from my friend this metalsearched M35 It was found next to the SS M40 It seem to have a headshotdamage and a skirtshot The brim is broken The colour is very good visibl

Default A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage

Hello
    I got this week from my friend this metalsearched M35
    It was found next to the SS M40
    It seem to have a headshotdamage and a skirtshot
    The brim is broken
    The colour is very good visible
    It is in size 66
    The heerdecalrest is visible anymore
    He found it in Holland a week before
    Enjoy it
    BR
    Bavarian
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage   A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage  

A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage   A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage
    P
    Many

The holes look like they were eaten away by rust, rather than shrapnel damage. Something hitting a steel helmet hard enough to make a hole would deform the metal, and I don't see any deformation around the edges of those holes. You also usually see stress cracks, but that isn't always the case. The smaller pockmarks on the dome make me doubly certain that rust is the cause of those holes, rather than battle damage.

Regards, B.B.

The helmet is in not heavy rusty condition
    It is in fly rust patina barnfind condition
    BR
    Bavarian

I have to agree with BB, all battle damage helmets I've seen have bent metal around the holes, these holes have no direction of travel present as one would see as a result of battle damage.

Quote by HetzersGonnaHetz View Post
    I have to agree with BB, all battle damage helmets I've seen have bent metal around the holes, these holes have no direction of travel present as one would see as a result of battle damage.
    Shrapnel holes in helmets do not always have metal turned inwards. Its all down to the velocity of the projectile that hits the helmet, the slower the velocity, the greater the metal will be turned inwards... that is of course, up to the point where the velocity is too low for the projectile to penetrate. But a projectile of higher velocity is more likely to take out a piece of metal without turning the edges of the hole inwards.

Quote by HARRY THE MOLE View Post
    Shrapnel holes in helmets do not always have metal turned inwards. Its all down to the velocity of the projectile that hits the helmet, the slower the velocity, the greater the metal will be turned inwards... that is of course, up to the point where the velocity is too low for the projectile to penetrate. But a projectile of higher velocity is more likely to take out a piece of metal without turning the edges of the hole inwards.
    Was not aware of that mate, many thanks for correcting me, got that duly noted for future reference. Apologies to the original poster for the mistake.

It would certainly be useful to have better pictures than the current ones to be sure, but the shrapnel damage stands a chance, especially since it's an M35 which was made of a more brittle alloy of steel, though that brittleless may also come from inadequate heat treatment.
    Anyway, since we're evaluating damage on helmets I think I have something you can use as an example.
    CKL66 lot no. 3540 M42 shell post war used by a fire department and then shot up at a range, bough it for 25€. Paint on the inside is original.
    You can see quite well how the steel moves when it is hit by pistol and rifle rounds.
    Luis
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage   A new M35 Heer with headshotdamage