Ratisbon's - Top
Display your banner here

NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic

Article about: Hi folks, decided to get another paint stripping project, since the last one was so successful, to you I present this ND M42, made by the Vereinigte Nickelwerke Schwerte AG, the shell itself

Default NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic

Hi folks,
    decided to get another paint stripping project, since the last one was so successful, to you I present this ND M42, made by the Vereinigte Nickelwerke Schwerte AG, the shell itself is still in great shape retaining most of the slate grey paint, the liner band is quite rusty, and overall you can see that the entire helmet was repainted black post war, shell inside out, liner and inner ring.
    Unfortunately my USB-port is broken on the PC I'm using right now so I can only post pictures pre-restoration, but I will show you what it looks like now.
    Overall this helmet is quite interesting.. well, to me at least, because it is a NS64 D354 ND helmet, looking at the ghv database, lotnr D350 still received a decal, but D377 ( the next one shown there) does not, so I'd say that this probably was one of the first ND helmets produced by NS, couple that with a 1943 dated Werner Zahn steel liner, as you know, the Werner Zahn factory kept making alu reinforced liners even in 1943 so this is probably an early one from that factory aswell , the split pins are dated 1943 and made by S (pine tree) C, on 2 of the pins, the other is possibly too corroded to read the maker, unfortunately.
    Picked it up for 95€ shipped which I think is a fair price for a helmet in that condition with a mostly complete liner.
    Luis

These are the only pictures I have right now, those are from the message history of me and the seller, can't get the pictures from the advert itself anymore since it has been deleted unfortunately..
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic   NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic  

NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic   NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic
    P
    Many

Well done, good work getting that paint off. Leon.

Quote by FALLSCHIRMJAGER View Post
    Well done, good work getting that paint off. Leon.
    Well, if you thought that that was the helmet post-restoration, I'm sorry to disappoint you. But as I said in my novel of a thread-starter, this is the helmet as the seller sold it, without me having done anything, but as I said, tomorrow you will see what it'll look like.
    Luis

Well, at least I've found these photos in the message history, regard them as a bit of a teaser
    I have marked which split pin goes where as I took the liner out so it doesn't even look like the liner has been out but I had to take it out for cleaning obviously because everything was black..
    All is still in the place it should be.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic   NS64 early ND M42 helmet semi-relic  

Well, as it's a NS ND M42 I should think it is extremely fitting to slap on a really crappy repro SS decal, right

(warning, sarcasm)

You've done a great job so far Luis! Its looking very nice

Thanks, Andy
    Here are some more pictures as promised.
    Luis

And just some random ones for good measure
    Don't worry, liner is as I think I already said back in the helmet safe and sound, nothing broken nor damaged, and no evidence of it having been removed, though it might've been out prior to me taking it out, since the size stamp and maker mark were cleaned up to be visible ( that wasn't me), probably by the same person that caused those sanding marks on the paint though they could've been caused by the helmet being sanded before being painted black but I don't know.
    Luis