Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Old rusty German M 42 from Romania

Article about: Hello guys some time ago I found this badly preserved M42 in a village near Iasi where the SS Grossdeutschland Division operated in the summer of 1944 during the Iasi-Chisinau Offensive, a m

Default Old rusty German M 42 from Romania

Hello guys
    some time ago I found this badly preserved M42 in a village near Iasi where the SS Grossdeutschland Division operated in the summer of 1944 during the Iasi-Chisinau Offensive, a major military operation during the Wehrmacht's retreat westwards. It is a common find but I like it because it can be linked to a specific event and also because of its unusual small size. A friend of mine told me it would be worth to try a restoration process (rust removal, filling the cracks, etc.) Do you think that would alter its value?
    Thanks
    Best regards
    Sever (Romania)
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Old rusty German M 42 from Romania   Old rusty German M 42 from Romania  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Old rusty German M 42 from Romania
    P
    Many

It's a nice honest relic, leave it be!...

A tough call, Sever. As it is, it really has not all that much value, so you wouldn't really be hurting the value much by restoring it, but what would you end up with? A restored relic that was still of little value and one that has been altered radically from it's original state. Personally, I'd simply leave it as is and set it on the shelf. It's earned it's history-not much point in changing it now.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Agree with the others, don't mess with it is my vote.

?

Somethings you cant fix. Make a "relic" display, get some relic medals etc to display with it

Thank you very much for your advice. You are right, so I will leave the helmet as it is. Perhaps I will only try to stop rust-spreading and than it will age on the shelf

nice lid but im not sure that grossdeuschland where SS think they where heer, and furthermore i agree with the others dont touch it, it has a certain "relic" charm to it that a renovation would destroy