Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Pair of Relics :D

Article about: Hello My friends ! Just wanted to share this pair of relics I got this weekend: By the way, guys, I belive it's a M42 helmet, but not sure, I see the vent is attached to the shell and the br

Default Pair of Relics :D

Hello My friends !

Just wanted to share this pair of relics I got this weekend:

By the way, guys, I belive it's a M42 helmet, but not sure, I see the vent is attached to the shell and the brim is a bit tilted comparing to M40 ones ...
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Pair of Relics :D   Pair of Relics :D  

Pair of Relics :D  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Pair of Relics :D
    P
    Many

It is indeed an M42 helmet. The flared skirt is unmistakable. I have a relic one myself, but far more corroded than yours is.
    A nice relic Iron Cross too. I know many collectors won't touch relic medals, as they lose something of their visual appeal. But any kind of battlefield find has that unique character that you just don't get from items in better condition. You really get the sense that they've 'been there', if you know what I mean.

Congratulations on a nice couple of relics!

B.B.

Thanks Brodie !

Totally agree with you, Do not touch the relics, I keep it as safe as I can to keep all parts together : p Speacially the Iron Cross !

As long as the two halves of the frame don't show signs of separating, it should be okay. That is, from what I've heard and seen, one of the most common problems with relic Iron Crosses. Saw a video on the internet some time ago, where a detectorist discovered what appeared to be a dump site of EK's. Virtually every one he pulled out of the hole – and there were dozens – had fallen to pieces after spending so long in the ground. In many cases he could find only the frames.
    Hopefully yours holds together!

B.B.

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    I know many collectors won't touch relic medals, as they lose something of their visual appeal. But any kind of battlefield find has that unique character that you just don't get from items in better condition. You really get the sense that they've 'been there', if you know what I mean.
    B.B.
    Some collectors won't add relics to their collection for the simple fact that they could be grave dug items.
    Having a number of relatives that perished while fighting for the Germans, that is the reason that I do not collect relics.
    Ralph.
    Searching for anything relating to, Anton Boos, 934 Stamm. Kp. Pz. Erz. Abt. 7, 3 Kompanie, Panzer-Regiment 2, 16th Panzer-Division (My father)

Quote by BrodieBartfast View Post
    As long as the two halves of the frame don't show signs of separating, it should be okay. That is, from what I've heard and seen, one of the most common problems with relic Iron Crosses. Saw a video on the internet some time ago, where a detectorist discovered what appeared to be a dump site of EK's. Virtually every one he pulled out of the hole – and there were dozens – had fallen to pieces after spending so long in the ground. In many cases he could find only the frames.
    Hopefully yours holds together!

B.B.
    Well, that's the case, the two frames are widely devided and only kept together by the rustiness I belive.

I'll bring you pictures of it tomorrow !

Quote by rbminis View Post
    Some collectors won't add relics to their collection for the simple fact that they could be grave dug items.
    Having a number of relatives that perished while fighting for the Germans, that is the reason that I do not collect relics.
    Ralph.
    A reason that I feel foolish for overlooking. You hear stories about the 'black diggers' operating in Eastern Europe, and you wonder how people can so readily violate a brave man's final resting place for the sake of money.
    I can only hope that the few relics I have did not come from such a source. My M42 was pulled out of a lake in France, where it had been tossed with dozens of others. I can rest easy knowing that that one, at least, wasn't stolen from a grave site.

B.B.

Think you will be fighting a losing battle to keep the EK2 from parting company with the outer halves. For sure a sign it is totally original, but might ask yourself about the moral aspect of obtaining it, unless you can say for sure it was just lost or came from a surrender site.

I would think any relic German helmet being sourced from Eastern Europe would have a high probability of coming from a dug up grave site. We know the Germans buried their fallen with respect and honour. Have a look at post #1 from "Komoto's interesting photos" in the Photo forum. It shows a German soldier in the grave, his helmet on his chest (and perhaps an Iron Cross pined to his tunic). This are where many of these relic helmets come from. I would not be comfortable with buying something that fuels a trade in grave robbing. Other's may feel differently. And I'm not having a go at our original poster, my point is general.

Oh man, for sure I have not reach this point of view so deeply until now.

I'm from another continent you know... My country did fought the WWII but, not trying to decrease the honor, merit and history of the ones who have fallen, we did not loose so many soldiers and cilvilians like Russia, USA or Germany did. Debating to myself now I think that's one of the reasons why I did not have a so developed point of view to this question, also because of the distance to the great conflict.

It's cool to have such debate with you fellows, I really belive we grow our knowledge and most importante our ethics.

I used to think more like preseving the history of the ones who had fallen but it's not aways like that as BrodieBartfast said.

My respect to the fallen soldiers and their fellows who respectfully let them rest in piece.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast