Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Question about relic helmets

Article about: Unfortunately relic helmets that are too far gone will not survive for a reasonable length of time, especially the wafer thin remnants, Oil will not preserve a helmet nor will it stop the ru

Default Re: Question about relic helmets

Quote by Good Pwny View Post
    I love cheap, rusty, old relics! Something about battlefield finds attracts me. I guess it's from my roots collecting US Civil War relics. I know guys have mentioned sprays to preserve them. One member said something about fish oil spray. Anybody have info on what the best product is? Here are some of my newest...
    I have read that renaissance wax is good for everything even paper and photographs. Maybe that would be a good choice for preserving the helmets instead of fish oils etc
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Question about relic helmets
    P
    Many

?

Never use the oils like fish, vegetable or castor. They are all agressive over a time and they became a vax over some time, also smell. Use the vaseline oil for it, that product will newer decay, does not smell, does not change the color.
    Regards,
    Dimas

my Skype: warrelics

Haha qtod, if you didnt ask for him to sell the lid to you , I would have asked to sell it to me ,lol.

I have used a rust converter on mine, like ranex rustbuster, just dont leave it on to long. I used ranex all the time when I was building patio's, to take the surface rust off but protect colorbond. Works well on the helmets

No one has used renaissance wax? It's the material used in museums for preserving exhibits such as statues, furniture etc. It's use is endless.

I love renaissance wax but its not much good until you have the rust removed or at least reduced to the state you want to try to 'lock in'. In any case the wax won't stop rust from forming but it does add a nice sheen and smell to a cleaned helmet. I'd first use oxalic to remove the rust and then once clean and dry, apply the wax to make the cleaned lid 'presentable'. but thats just me, others may have a different opinion.

For what its worth and I hope this doesn't make me sound weird but I quite enjoy going into my study and giving my relic display lids a quick 'sniff' to enjoy their fresh, clean, museum-like smell from the wax.

Ok, I just re-read that and it does sound weird but screw it, I like it!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    I love renaissance wax but its not much good until you have the rust removed or at least reduced to the state you want to try to 'lock in'. In any case the wax won't stop rust from forming but it does add a nice sheen and smell to a cleaned helmet. I'd first use oxalic to remove the rust and then once clean and dry, apply the wax to make the cleaned lid 'presentable'. but thats just me, others may have a different opinion.

For what its worth and I hope this doesn't make me sound weird but I quite enjoy going into my study and giving my relic display lids a quick 'sniff' to enjoy their fresh, clean, museum-like smell from the wax.

Ok, I just re-read that and it does sound weird but screw it, I like it!
    LOL i think all of us have some fetish. I like smelling award documents and all period documents. Also my cloth headgear and tunics. They have that smell ''i'm old dude''.

And old is gold. Coz it's original

As long as its not old dudes you like smelling, thats ok!

Quote by Glenn66 View Post
    As long as its not old dudes you like smelling, thats ok!
    Of course lol

Gibbs brand will take care of those relics

GIBBS Brand Penetrating Oil

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast