Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Real wired relic?

Article about: Hi everyone! I was wondering what your opinion is on this helmet. I'm not sure about the decal. But I don't think the wire is original. Over all, what do you guys think? Thank you!

Default Real wired relic?

Hi everyone! I was wondering what your opinion is on this helmet. I'm not sure about the decal. But I don't think the wire is original. Over all, what do you guys think? Thank you!
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Real wired relic?   Real wired relic?  

Real wired relic?   Real wired relic?  

Real wired relic?   Real wired relic?  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Real wired relic?
    P
    Many

?

Nooo not at all this one is bad! You can see the wire does not match the lid at all, the wire looks like it was just thrown on there.
    Ryan

Thank you so much! I'll steer clear of this one. Was the shell and decal real? (Thanks for the quick reply)

The wire is modern North American reverse twist chickenwire, not the European type one would expect to see on a genuine helmet. That, and the fact that it shows no signs of matching the condition or wear on the helmet from over 70 years of being in situ, condemns it.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

This is one of the things to look for in genuine relic wired lids...see how the wire has corroded into the shell and left impressions after 70+ years together? This doesn't happen overnight. See also how the decal is damaged all to hell except where the lower arm of the swastika was protected to an extent by the wire? The devil is in the details as they say and like any decent forensic detective, you have to look close. Except in the OP example, where the extent of the attempted fraud was obvious.

Real wired relic?Real wired relic?Real wired relic?Real wired relic?Real wired relic?Real wired relic?

?

The wire was put on last week to sex it up to get moremoney for it and much better photos are needed to give an assessment on the decal.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings