Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Reasons for collecting relic helmets

Article about: Hello Nuno, for many people living far away from battlefields the only way to buy is through internet. Now internet is almost everywhere and the market is global. If 20 years ago you could b

Default Re: Reasons for collecting relic helmets

I don’t want to hijack this thread but schwerpunkt has a good point – I think we ALL would firstly prefer a salty original rather than a rusted shell – but it’s a simple case of supply & demand. I had a nice M35 double decal back 25 years ago and it only cost me $200 ( which was top dollar back then ) but those days are long gone - & so is the helmet sadly.

There’s lots of history in rusty metal as well – although I am somewhat uncomfortable with dug helmets that look like the original wearer didn’t make it – if it was grave dug rather than rubbish pit dug then I believe graves are graves of heroes, no matter what army and should be treated with dignity – but that’s a whole other subject!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Reasons for collecting relic helmets
    P
    Many

Quote by Danmark View Post
    I don’t want to hijack this thread but schwerpunkt has a good point – I think we ALL would firstly prefer a salty original rather than a rusted shell – but it’s a simple case of supply & demand. I had a nice M35 double decal back 25 years ago and it only cost me $200 ( which was top dollar back then ) but those days are long gone - & so is the helmet sadly.

There’s lots of history in rusty metal as well – although I am somewhat uncomfortable with dug helmets that look like the original wearer didn’t make it – if it was grave dug rather than rubbish pit dug then I believe graves are graves of heroes, no matter what army and should be treated with dignity – but that’s a whole other subject!

This is true Danmark, we'd all like nice originals, but how
    much does a complete "salty" original go for today ?
    Too much in my estimation.
    They want top dollar for crap..........!

If I'm going to spend even as much as $500.00 or more, it's got
    to be pretty damned good, and all I see at shows lately are
    beat up, messed with, poorly home-repainted ones
    for huge money ! You could almost consider these "relics" !
    It seems the "good stuff " has mostly disappeared - or will
    cost you an arm and a leg !

I still have room for a few more "rusty relics" - with or
    without the bullet and schrapnel holes..................
    Bring 'em on - they're the "real deal" to me !

Regards,

Steve.

Hi Danmark, I understand being reluctant to disturb gravesites, but apparently, about 90% of the time, there are no remains found with the helmets. I kinda agree with Steve, I like getting the rusty relics that have seen the action.

Jay

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    This is true Danmark, we'd all like nice originals, but how
    much does a complete "salty" original go for today ?
    Too much in my estimation.
    They want top dollar for crap..........!

If I'm going to spend even as much as $500.00 or more, it's got
    to be pretty damned good, and all I see at shows lately are
    beat up, messed with, poorly home-repainted ones
    for huge money ! You could almost consider these "relics" !
    It seems the "good stuff " has mostly disappeared - or will
    cost you an arm and a leg !

I still have room for a few more "rusty relics" - with or
    without the bullet and schrapnel holes..................
    Bring 'em on - they're the "real deal" to me !

Regards,

Steve.

Steve I think you are looking in the wrong spots or you don't care for a nice helmet with original liner and strap for 400$ ?

Quote by sitges1990 View Post
    I kinda agree with Steve, I like getting the rusty relics that have seen the action.

Jay
    Why do all relic collectors think only ground dug shells have seen action. What do you think happened to the helmets of the soldiers who survived "the action" ?
    Do you think all ground dug helmets were shot of the heads of hero soldiers ? Some helmets probably just rolled of a tank or out of a truck in a ditch and got covered by dirt and mud.

I'm not a relic collector (obvious from my replies) but find the reasons given in this topic for collecting relic helmets a bit simplistic.
    Yes they are a lot cheaper than those who stayed above ground but honestly a salty to good condition helmet was in the same war than those who got buried and perhaps it's just me but they are much nicer to look at and a lot more can be learned from them. (lotnrs , decals , makers)

I rather have one of these than 10 ground dug helmets.

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post
    Why do all relic collectors think only ground dug shells have seen action. What do you think happened to the helmets of the soldiers who survived "the action" ?
    Do you think all ground dug helmets were shot of the heads of hero soldiers ? Some helmets probably just rolled of a tank or out of a truck in a ditch and got covered by dirt and mud.

I'm not a relic collector (obvious from my replies) but find the reasons given in this topic for collecting relic helmets a bit simplistic.
    Yes they are a lot cheaper than those who stayed above ground but honestly a salty to good condition helmet was in the same war than those who got buried and perhaps it's just me but they are much nicer to look at and a lot more can be learned from them. (lotnrs , decals , makers)

I agree with Schwerpunkt on this one, besides her indoors wouldnt be happy if i filled the house with rusty old helmets. Oh well.....everybody to there own, as they say !

Quote by Schwerpunkt View Post

I like this one !

How much was/is it?

Regards, Steve.

?

Some people like relics , some like salty , some like mint, i prefer relics and salty combat helmets , that's just the way it is !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Hi Schwerpunkt, that is a fantastic helmet you included photos of. Sure I would like to own that helmet. But Paul hit it on the head. There are relics, salty, and mint, I prefer relics. I have no visions of my relic being "shot off the heads of hero soldiers." Heck it might have fallen off the handlebars of a soldier's bicycle and rolled into the ditch. But I can tell you it definitely came from the field, and I know what battle was fought on that field. That is more thrilling to me then a pristine helmet that I know nothing about. I know Paul has beautiful relic helmets that still include insigina and paint, so all info is not always lost in relic finds. I can't imagine the excitment of digging one of those up myself. So, short and sweet, I guess you could say I have a simplistic outlook. Individuality is what makes the world so interesting!

Take care,
    Jay

Quote by Walkwolf View Post
    I like this one !

How much was/is it?

Regards, Steve.

Good question Steve,

Another gentleman posted "....I think you are looking in the wrong spots or you don't care for a nice helmet with original liner and strap for 400$ " If this is an example of a helmet he can sell for that sort of money, then PLEASE sell it to me

I too love the salty and relic helmets, but would also love a helmet like this one

Regards,

Spence

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast