Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Relic camo helmet

Article about: Was wondering if anyone has seen this helmet before. Sold as a SOuth Berlin relic SS, Homeguard, police camo. Found by diggers. Can't find any matching patterns good or bad. Thks for any hel

Default Re: Relic camo helmet

Hello again Col James

Below, some pics of the flaking on my repo helmet ... did the actual German helmets during the war also chip in a similar fashion to this after wear in the field ?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic camo helmet   Relic camo helmet  

Relic camo helmet   Relic camo helmet  

Relic camo helmet   Relic camo helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic camo helmet
    P
    Many

Quote by Andrew Reichmann View Post
    Hi Col James, thanks for the reply much appreciated. Another silly question, but on the German helmets during the war if the paint chipped would a silver/steel patch be visible ? I ask because I am working on a cheap repo for my collection and in places on the rim paint has chipped-off (bad Chinese paint :-) and some silver/steel is showing. I can't decide whether to leave it like this or not ... it looks cool but is it "realistic" ?
    They would have chipped yes, and the bare metal underneath would have been exposed for a while before the elements got to it and nature took its course, oxidisation needs oxygen to produce rust, that’s why ferrous metal is painted.

Hello again Col James

Below, some pics of the flaking on my repo helmet ... did the actual German helmets during the war also chip in a similar fashion to this after wear in the field ?
    Andrew

The silver you see here is the base coat thats been used to paint the helmet before the top coat was applied

WW2 helmets would have used a more basic oil based paint I believe applied directly to the base metal

Hi Col James, thanks for the reply much appreciated. Another silly question, but on the German helmets during the war if the paint chipped would a silver/steel patch be visible ? I ask because I am working on a cheap repo for my collection and in places on the rim paint has chipped-off (bad Chinese paint :-) and some silver/steel is showing. I can't decide whether to leave it like this or not ... it looks cool but is it "realistic" ?
    hi andrew i really dont want to be dragged into a conversation on somebody elses thread about chinese copies ,im really no expert when it comes to paint conditions after damage on relic helmets ,i can only comment on the example's i have in my hot sticky mitts ,and i certainly cant comment on paint chips on "repo" helmets it turns my stomach even typing the word most likely the damage was caused by somebody launching it into the garbage dump ,im more than happy to show my example of paint wear via private message ,i just dont think it forum etiquette ,you could always start a seperate thread in the discussion's section ,hope this helps ,regards james
    Regards James

Hi Totenhead

Thank-you very much for the info, much appreciated.

Hello James

Noted, thank-you. Not to worry about the pics, Totenhead helped me with the question.

Cheers

Andrew

Still

We really dont want to be seeing chinese repro helmets on here to be honest !!!

Not too worry, no more posts promise :-)

Hello, yes I still have it. It is a South Berlin dug Police relic with 5-10% of both decals. When I get time I will put up some photos. The crack is rusted with an impact point that is not fresh, which discounts any thoughts of digger damage I hope.

Mopar do you have pics of helmet to compare ?

Here's the helmet, but the shiny metal doesn't really show in the picture.
    Anyway, digger damage was one of my theories on my helmet, but it's just a guess.

An interesting helmet, a camo and from the Berlin area ...I would like to see some more pictures, maybe of the decal remnants?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic camo helmet  

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast