Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic Helmet

Article about: Hello everyone, I was looking at this helmet and was wondering if it was original. I was also wondering how rare is it to find one with the liner still in it, especially since it deteriorate

Default Relic Helmet

Hello everyone, I was looking at this helmet and was wondering if it was original. I was also wondering how rare is it to find one with the liner still in it, especially since it deteriorates when its under ground. thanks for the help in advance!

German helmet original M40 SIZE 64 | eBay
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic Helmet  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic Helmet
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Relic Helmet

It is not unusual to find a relic with full, partial or bits of a liner. It all depends on location, location,location. Not all relics are dug, and relic helmets in good nick csn be found in barns and attics. Depending on where the helmet has been and the conditions it has been in, no it s not unusual or rare to find relic helmets with liners.......

Something about this helmet doesn't sit right with me, rust looks like it has been painted on......liner pins look like an even coat has been applied, and the pins look like they are sitting above the rust, like the helmet has been spray painted......it could be just me, but just doesn't look right, looks like. Really solid shell spray painted is the best way to put it

?

I have no issues with the helmet from what I see. A lot of good recovered helmets are coming out of eastern Europe and Asia. Dirt can hide a lot, but I do not see anything here that would make me think the helmet was anything other than a dug German stahlhelm. With no visible decals, but having a partial liner, I would value the helmet at $200+ or so. Just an opinion.

Thank you guys for responding so quick, I really appreciate it. I also learned something new, I always thought that relic helmets reffered to ground dug helmets but it does make more sense that it would refer to barn finds as well.

I like the helmet, I wont bid too high, its more for the thrill. I know less about relics than untouched" clean" helmets. I think I will wait for a few more replies before I make a decision-if there are anymore- but thank you guys for the quick response again!

?

Quote by General Patton View Post
    Thank you guys for responding so quick, I really appreciate it. I also learned something new, I always thought that relic helmets reffered to ground dug helmets but it does make more sense that it would refer to barn finds as well.

I like the helmet, I wont bid too high, its more for the thrill. I know less about relics than untouched" clean" helmets. I think I will wait for a few more replies before I make a decision-if there are anymore- but thank you guys for the quick response again!
    "Relic" condition does not have to be excavated. If a helmet is found in a barn or shed and the helmet has succumbed to the elements it is considered to be in relic condition. "Dug" denotes excavated, at least in American Civil War collecting. These excavated helmets would be very hard to fake. That is one reason they are becoming more desirable to collectors.

As said ;" can't fake that"!
    All good in my opinion.
    Cheers
    |<
    Always looking for Belgian Congo stuff!
    http://out-of-congo.eklablog.com/

cheers
    |<ris

?

Nothing at all wrong with this helmet , it is what it is a ground dug relic

I know who the digger who is selling this and he finds many relic stahlhelms so he's got no reason to be messing around spray painting rust onto helmets !!

regards

Paul
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

?

Oh have I offend you Paul e??????

Not knowing any diggers personaly, I only go by what I have been shown. I simply made sn observation IF it was wrong, I'm not going to take it back, it was as they say IMO

?

Why would you have offended me ? I don't agree with your comment and posted my own observations , knowing the digger aside there's nothing wrong with the lid as i said it is what it is a rusty relic.
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings