Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here

Relic Helmet

Article about: We all have the one that we let go..I wish I had kept this one.It had all the nice points.what a great piece! at least I can be happy that Someone who will love it and take care of it until

Default Relic Helmet

We all have the one that we let go..I wish I had kept this one.It had all the nice points.what a great piece! at least I can be happy that Someone who will love it and take care of it until it goes to the next one.Remember we are only here for a short time...Relic Helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic Helmet
    P
    Many

I don't collect relic helmets but if I did this is what I would like. I'm sure someone has it proudly displayed in their collection.
    Nick

Thank you Nick,The crack in the shell appears to be caused by a shrapnel penetration at the top of the helmet.I am not familiar with shrapnel damage.I would like to have thoughts about this type of damage and perhaps photos of any battle damaged helmets. Any submissions would be appreciated.Regards,Geoff

That type of damage is, as you suspect, typical for a lower velocity shrapnel hit. Bullets typically leave clean holes and show "banana peel" style tears in the steel. Shrapnel is usually going slower and is an irregularly shaped chunk of iron and tends to crack the steel rather than tear through cleanly.