Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Relic Helmet Opinions?

Article about: Hi! I have a ground dug helmet here, feeling risky to experiment with it. I got this cheapo for \\$15 from a friend. Not sure what to do with it, I want to experiment, dipping it in different

SRB
    ?

king post!!! O_O

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic Helmet Opinions?
    P
    Many

looking forward to the "after" pictures.

Nice. Pics or it didnt happed

Quite an opus....

Looking forward to the photos!

Okay! Couldn't wait till this weekend, so I just decided to upload them now, plus, the helmet might be done by this weekend.
    Imaged One shows parts of the inner band that had come out.
    As I had said, I put it into a nice candy cauldron, that can be seen from image 2.
    I really did try to take snapshots of the paint as well, but my iphone camera can't take very well photos of the paint that is there. For those who have good eyes, Examine!
    On image 6, this was near where I thought the code/serial number would be, so i concentrated on getting the rust off near here first. Some of the varying shades of gray can be seen here, as I mentioned before. Thank god i'm not going insane yet!!

NOTE REFER TO THE COMMENT I MADE BELOW FOR THE PICTURE NUMBERS! IGNORE THE NUMBERS LISTED HERE.

Images 7 and 8 were the hardest ones to get with this stupid phone camera. I had to back away 2+ feet and zoom in all the way for it to fully concentrate, but alas, I finally got the shot that I needed. Make out the number for yourself!
    Down below, I have a story guide as to what I did, so any others who would like to do what I did, can repeat it.

I came home from work, and the first thing I did in my work clothes, was kneel down, and peer through the saran wrap I had left the night before. I saw a steady stream of tiny bubbles exiting the top of the helmet, where the hole on top sat. I gently peeled the wrap off, making sure not to disturb the dirt, and rust mix. This can be done at the experimenter's choice. I thought it was very interesting how you could see the reaction taking place, seeing the rust become attracted towards the helmet, then instantly shoo away once it got close, almost resembling when you put pepper in water and add a drop of soap in the middle to it. It flees away.

I changed into old clothes, and came back with my pink kitchen gloves... Lol.

As a side note, when I looked at the top with the saran wrap still on, there was vinegar droplets on the top of the wrap. It really does work!

I grabbed my flashlight, and inspected the murky water looking for any more bubbles.
    On top, there's a nasty and fizzy white substance that is very interesting when you poke it. Feels almost like Jello haha!
    After inspection, I took the helmet out, rinsed it in vinegar a couple of times to get the rust particles and dirt particles off, then proceeded to sit down outside on my patio to scrub with my bristle. The pictures that were listed above, were taken today, so I really don't need to explain except the rust was even more flaky, more inner band parts came out, and more paint was visible.

My main targets to get were the visor/bill, and the skirt area. I would focus on the top at a later date, where I wouldn't be rushed through with it by my curiosity. As I scrubbed, a figure appeared in the rear skirt of the helmet, that I thought to be the code. I furiously scrubbed hard, and rubbed with my finger, and when I finished, the code had vanished. It turned out, god wanted to play a trick on me and left me looking in the wrong place for the code. it was a rust formation that had pitted itself to look like a 9.

I began once again, scrubbing hard in a large place, covering much surface area, trying to uncover the code where ever it was hiding at. After this, I pinpointed where I thought It was a true number that was stamped, and continued to scrub. The end product of the scrubbing for the number can be seen up above on the 2 close up shots.

My heart totally dropped as I saw a 8 or 6 appear from the hardened rust, before you think to yourself of how it wasn't a big deal, and it is only a code, remember that absolutely no one on this Earth believed that anything would come out of this helmet, I mean, look at the pictures of when I first posted about this helmet and what my options were. It was a bad to the bone boy, plus, it was doomed to only get worse. Or at least.. That's what I presume. Also, My collection is not that large, and this is my first helmet I have ever touched in my life, ever.

Anyways, as I began to get more frustrated trying to find this god forsaken code, I was presented with what looked like a 7. I still don't know what this looks like, and I am still very unsure as to what number this is, or if it is even a number at all. My hand got a bad cramp from holding the helmet in place, and pumping back and forth trying to loosen the rust, that i just decided to let the vinegar handle it. I plopped the helmet back in, took a few pics, then , I'm typing this.

As a question, why is there only 2 numbers and no letters? The only thing that I can think of for it to be is the size of the helmet as a size 67, and that is a reissued one. Do you guys have any suggestions as to why there are only 2 numbers? Where else can I look for that serial number? I know that there is a number stamped on the helmet for sure, and that is the 6 or 8.

The 8 looks identical to a 6, when the 6 has a line striking down from its tip. I can't quite make it out, because the combination of the pitting and the tiny rust.

Thanks for everyone who your comments, guys! Yes. I am very excitable. If I see something that intrigues me, you should hide it from me, or not tell me at all. Lol.
    Yes! These are very long messages! I hope no one beats my record!

Warm Regards,

JustinAttachment 921490Attachment 921498Attachment 921497Attachment 921496Attachment 921495Attachment 921494Attachment 921493Attachment 921492Attachment 921491Attachment 921499
    Last edited by justino2263; 01-06-2016 at 10:21 PM. Reason: The pictures didn't upload! :C

Whoa. Some of these pictures are of terrible quality.. Didn't show up like that on my phone. Ugh. If you'd like to see a specific close up of any area of the helmet, let me know. When I was doing the picture uploader, The pictures were numbered, so I assumed that these would be numbered as well. Please ignore the numbers I listed in the comment above. Okay, these are all in exact sequential order, so as you observe the pictures, look at the list. None of the numbers on the list are flopped around. These are how the pictures show up on the forum for me, and if they are different for you, look at the code of the photo and compare the two to my description.
    Picture 921490 one shows the inner band workings that popped off at the rear of the skirt, and on the sides. They were the largest pieces so far.
    Picture 921498 was of a part of a code. It was really cold outside, and I was shivering, but got the picture anyway. The camera is very sensitive to movement while zoomed in, so that was the best one I could take at the time. It shows a part of the code, located Just below left of the center of the picture. Looking more closely... Is that an S?
    Picture 921497 Shows the dark gray As I was talking about towards the right of the picture. This is in the rear of the helmet where I had been scrubbing for the code.
    Picture 921496 shows the gray paint that I was talking about. This area was all previously weird freckles. I didn't take any pictures up till now, and I don't know why at all.
    Picture 921494 Shows the Gray, but with the flash on it looked apple green. The front of the helmet.
    Picture 921413 shows the flakes that I was talking about hitting my glasses from the inside skirt of the helmet. I told you. These things were a bombardment. If you look to the lower left you can see exactly what I see. This is what the paint that I first saw originally. Looks a lot like the classic field gray paint that we all know. The rust started to recede, and a lot more of the paint became visible.
    Picture 921492 is the cauldron that I put the vinegar in, and the murky water. In the bottom right, This is where the helmet was originally. It was very long, so that is why i needed a lot more vinegar for it to soak. There are my pink gloves!
    Picture 921499 shows the paint, and the 6 a tad down from the very center of the photo.

As another note, I was thinking to myself and when I first saw the paint, I should of said "THAR SHE BLOWS! "

I should start a business getting rust off helmets.. Lol. Nice idea.

Warm Regards,

Justin
    Last edited by justino2263; 01-06-2016 at 10:09 PM. Reason: Feel like giving you all the hassle of guessing what parts are.

You need to use the forum uploader to show the pic's, there's nothing visible besides the biblical scale text.
    'I do not think we can hope for any better thing now.
    We shall stick it out to the end, but we are getting weaker of course, and the end cannot be far.
    It seems a pity, but I do not think I can write more. R. SCOTT.
    Last Entry - For God's sake look after our people.'

In memory of Capt. Robert Falcon Scott, Edward Wilson, Henry Bowers, Lawrence Oates and Edgar Evans. South Pole Expedition, 30th March 1912.

Relic Helmet Opinions?Relic Helmet Opinions?Relic Helmet Opinions?Relic Helmet Opinions?Relic Helmet Opinions?Relic Helmet Opinions?Relic Helmet Opinions?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic Helmet Opinions?   Relic Helmet Opinions?  

Relic Helmet Opinions?  

Aha! There we are! my apologies. Please request for more photos of any part of the helmet if you'd like, I am more than willing to take them. I am more excited to share than anyone!

Warm Regards,

Justin

mpw
    ?

Well done to you. I like getting the best out of a relic too but would never of thought to attempt what you have done there. Your hard work has paid off and you have something very presentable. Rust never sleeps so preserve and store it carefully.

Rgd's Mark.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast