Rg-militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!

Article about: Hello all, I'm looking to buy a relic helmet. I've researched this topic using this forum and have made my own opinion, but I would love to hear what others have to say. My only concern, eve

?

Thumbs up Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!

Hello all,

I'm looking to buy a relic helmet. I've researched this topic using this forum and have made my own opinion, but I would love to hear what others have to say. My only concern, even though some of the green paint exists on this M35(?) helmet, is that the heer decal is pretty much all there. Shouldn't this have been lost to time along with the majority of the paint? Does this mean that the lack of tri-colour decal on the opposite side indicate that this is a M40 helmet instead?

Thanks guys, skip01.

Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!
    P
    Many

Paint and decals are fairly durable, but this is
    a typical ground-found relic. Some are worse,
    some better. Hard to tell, but it appears to
    be a M40. National decals were ordered
    removed so there would not be one
    on the opposite side.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Those decals were pretty tough, they see to last longer than the paint or indeed the steel in some cases!...

The helmet is OK, but there are better relic examples to be had. It is really all down to your finances and what you can afford to pay. Some forum members might tell you to avoid them and save up your money for a really good helmet, but for some collectors that might not be so easy to do. There is nothing wrong with collecting relics, and they often tell you far more about the horrors of war than some pristine example that might not have even made any further than the barrack gates.

Cheers,
    Steve.

Looks good to me, if the price is right then go for it. I started off with relics until I got used to the pain of paying more and more for better examples

Decals can be surprisingly resilient.

Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please! Relic Helmet - Opinions Please!

?

Thanks for the helpful responses, guys I decided to go for the helmet in the end! For me, I would much rather have a helmet that has 'been there' than a pristine example.

Excellent collection of relics, Glenn66

Thanks guys, skip01.