Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele

Article about: Hi All, I've just obtained my 2nd Stahlhelm. This was purchased for a club display celebrating 1916-2016. The gent in the U.K I purchased her from apparently bought the helmet in the Ypres/P

?

Default Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele

Hi All,

I've just obtained my 2nd Stahlhelm. This was purchased for a club display celebrating 1916-2016. The gent in the U.K I purchased her from apparently bought the helmet in the Ypres/Passchendaele area while on of those France/Belgium WW1 tours. Upon arriving i treated it to an acid bath (it was corroding before my eyes..) and sealed it off. Lo & behold, the odd fleck of paint showed up....it may just be my imagination, but there did appear to be the odd field grau, orangey/ochre and the odd black paint fleck still attached to the exterior...so....it may be a stretch, but given the timeline & location may it have been a camo Stahlhelm? I'll let the esteemed members have a look at the pics & see what you think (hard to take pics of what's left)

Regards

Dan
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele   Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele  

Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele   Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele  

Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele   Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M16 Stahlhelm from Ypres/Passchendaele
    P
    Many

Hi Dan and welcome to the forum ,a good solid shell in i would say judging by the sniper plate lugs a large size ,good to see the intact chinstrap lugs too ,i can definately see some paint remnants ,all in all a nice period relic
    James
    Last edited by James C; 05-31-2016 at 06:09 PM.

Yes - it does appear to have traces of paint remaining. The thing about battlefield relics is that you know that they have been there, they have seen action, and there can be no disputing it. The thing about vet bring-backs is that believing the story attached to the object is usually a leap of faith. And in many cases the story behind the object has either changed over the years, or even lost altogether.

?

Thanks for the kind words gents. Yes, I agree - a relic helmet certainly does get the mind wondering...it may not be my last!

Regards,

Dan

?

A nice helmet Dan.

What did you treat it with? I've just bought a relic M18 that needs some TLC and was thinking of using linseed oil.

Tony

Quote by ynot View Post
    A nice helmet Dan.

What did you treat it with? I've just bought a relic M18 that needs some TLC and was thinking of using linseed oil.

Tony
    I would suggest using a good traditional beeswax furniture polish cream - not the spray-on crap though! Many museums use beeswax polish to preserve armour and the like.

?

Hi Tony,

On this one I gave it the Oxy acid bath treatment, followed by a soapy wash off, then hit with a hairdryer to ensure it's completely dry. I then used a light brushed-on coating of flax-seed oil (similiar to linseed oil) followed by a rub down with a dry rag. The flaxseed/linseed oil seems to dry to a nice hard finish without leaving any oily residue.

Harry- I'll have to try the beeswax. I'm alway being told to "mind my own"😜 Maybe on the next Stahlhelm....if I'm allowed.....

Regards,

Dan

R