Militaria Romandie - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Article about: Hi All, This M35 helmet (size 64) was found just a couple weeks ago, during excavations in Smolensk. Some early fierce battles (The Battle of Smolenks of the summer/fall of 1941, etc.) took

I just remembered something, I think this could also be useful as in regarding Feldpost numbers painted in helmets and such, I found this gas mask canister piece in February 2017 near Euskirchen (Rhineland) it has a name and Feldpostnummer in it .. Prusseil and L61235 which is the Feldpostnummer of 7. Batterie Flak-Regiment 52 which would match with 2cm FlAK casings I found not far from there(though that only existed until April 1944 but I guess Mr. Prusseil was moved to another Flak Bataillon), also found 7,92mm SS TV (SS Totenkopf verbände) shell casings from 1939 and lots of other things there, there was quite a bit of action. But I just wanted to show this because of the patina on the paint, same as with my M40, the paint has to be yellowed at least a bit, such as with my items.
    Luis
    It has to be added that I did just put some water on the item to make it more readable, just so you know.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)
    P
    Many

One reason for the lack of patina on the paint might be due to it being cleaned with oxalic acid, I know from own experience that it cleans items, especially paint very well, making it look brand new, and just seeing those yellow bits at the rusty spots leads me to believe it was cleaned that way, because when you clean steel items with oxalic acid it often leaves this yellow stuff on the surface and in the solution, I think it is some sort of iron salt, resulted form the reaction of the oxalic with the iron oxide.
    Luis

If the paint bubbles "explode" then generally they will take with them whatever is on top.

I also think the tone of white is a bit too bright for something that is 70 plus years old - from the examples I've seen the name generally yellows somewhat with age.

Just my opinion.

?

That's fine, we all have them. Thanks for yours.

At the end of the day I hope that it turns out to be the real deal and if my opinion is wrong it is OK because I have learned something

?

Update: the 2 helmets from Smolensk (along with 2 more) arrived a few days ago, so today I took photos.
    First, here's the named one: it's an ET64 (the marking is hard to read, because of all the layer of paints, see the last photo)
    The name is not as white as it seems on some pics, there is some rust and related discoloration on top of some of the letters. Under the first number 5 (top line) is a rust bubble that is not yet "popped" yet, but it might in a few years.

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Cheers,
    Fabe

?

Here is the second helmet from the same site. It's also an ET64. There is some saw-dust (or something similar) mixed into the second hand-painted layer of paint. Also there are some camo-net hooks still attached, a couple of them are missing. The outside of this helmet looks to be in better condition (somewhat), but the dome's inside part is saltier - compared to the other one, which has a better looking inside. I couldn't decide which to choose, so I got both.

Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)Relic M35 from Smolensk (Russia)

Cheers,
    Fabe

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4