Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

Article about: So the big question here is should it be restored or not? What do you guys think I want your opinions

Default Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

I just purchased this helmet and I was thinking of restoring it because it doesn't have much going for it, but on the right side of the helmet in the air vent hole there seems to be a screw stuck in it or something, has anyone seen something like this? Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

I do know sometimes the soldat would stick paper or mud into a vent hole to stop wind whistling through it a freezing his head off....maybe this is a example of a more permanent version of this practice

It looks to me like a handle was fitted to the side to make a scoop or something for use on a farm, etc. the whole appearance of the steel makes me think the same too. There is a mark around that area as if it was covered by a bracket, and the liner pin hole is blocked somehow also. Adapted into a farm tool IMO.

I think your right AMTG, the helmet is from Kurland which if im not mistaken was a winter battle? I could be wrong

?

Kurland lasted from autumn 1944 to spring 1945 i think you'll find that the explanation given by Andy is nearer to the truth !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I have a question, should I keep relics relics? Or should I restore something like this in this kind of condition or are relic helmets more desirable?

?

It's your helmet you can do with it as you will but for me once you have messed with it it has no original identity anymore , this one is just a very rusty but original relic if you paint it then it becomes a rusty relic covered in fake paint and no originality.

It is what it is !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Leave as is. NH

I have a interest in restoring helmets but I have a feeling I should keep relics as relics and not to ruin the history of them, i'll clean this one up and see if it brings out anything

Must agree with KradSpam, I think this helmet has been in use ater the war as a scoop. Seen them many times before.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast