Wardmilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

Article about: So the big question here is should it be restored or not? What do you guys think I want your opinions

Default Re: Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

So the big question here is should it be restored or not? What do you guys think I want your opinions

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???
    P
    Many

Do'n't do it!

Quote by TheGoon View Post
    So the big question here is should it be restored or not? What do you guys think I want your opinions
    Its a bit like giving a 90 year old woman plastic surgery in an attempt to make her look 20 again, it just doesn't work out and all you get at the end is something that's been messed with to an extent that its originality and genuine history are gone. I think sympathetic clean ups are alright, such as removing rust and using something to preserve them as relics.

But that's my opinion and ultimately the decision is yours as its not my helmet.

Thanks

Danny

Me? Heck...I'd play with it. In it's present state with most of the dome itself rotted away and nothing at all in the way of original paint, insignia, or anything-why not? It's not like you'd be destroying anything that's not already self destructing to begin with and has been made into a farmers grain scoop. You might as well have fun with it and see what you can do with it.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Personally i'd keep it as a relic as that what it is. It may be rusty, worn, seen better days etc... But to me it is original so id prefer to keep it that way

?

I just wonder what restoration you can perform on a lid that has such thin metal remaining. Surely mucking about with it would cause further deterioration.

If you want to do anything like that I would suggest getting hold of a relic that has been restored ie; painted over and then restoring it back to a relic, as it should be.

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

I was thinking if I am going to restore to make it a heer or a ss

I restored way worse helmets than this, some fibre glass and body fill and a lot of sanding does the job

Personally, to me modifying a relic in any way will make it lose its value completely... but thats just me

I think it looks great the way it is

Does it have rough factory paint? I can't tell from the pics

I reckon go for it! As you say, it's already been mucked with, has little historical value and to be frank, has no visual appeal. Nothing lasts forever and one day even the mintiest, locked in-a-nitrogen-sealed-vault lid will be dust so what the hey, have some fun and show us your refurb skills.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast