Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

Article about: So the big question here is should it be restored or not? What do you guys think I want your opinions

Default Re: Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

I don't know if it has any original paint left because I have not cleaned it yet but it probably doesn't it looks to be all rust, I will post a pic if it has any paint underneath

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???
    P
    Many

Your right Glenn it does look ugly, I will post pictures of it going through its restoration I'm not the best at it but I'm not the worst. A nice heer helmet would look great, I find a lot of people tend to make there helmets a ss.

If you can be bothered, a bath in Oxalic acid might be a good idea first, you might bring back a little of the colour and if so, you might be convinced to leave it 'as is'. If not, then you know you have explored all opportunities to 'save' the lid and can feel guilt-free as you hook into the sander, body filler and hi-fill primer to create your monstrosity of choice.

And I agree, don't go down the tired old SS path, have fun with a Heer or Lufty camo. Photos along the way will be great too!

I will be sure to clean it up first and if anything pops out I will keep it as is, I was thinking a heer and to spice it up maybe some wire and I have a restored DAK camo luftwaffe helmet which is a size 60 with original wire

How do you get original wire on a restored lid? Was it a wired lid that you restored and then replaced the wire? Or just original 1940's wire?

I got the lid in its relic condition with the wire attached, the helmet was flaking with rust, no paint or decals left so I restored it.

You got any before and after photos?

Here's my relic wire lid that I just cleaned up before keeping 'as is'.

Before

After

That's a nice lid! Mine had a wire on it with a plastic yellow coating like it was used for electrical so it wasn't broken. I'll post some pictures of it

Here are the before and after pictures.. what you cant see or tell is that when it was a relic the thing was rotten, it always had big pieces of rust falling off it so I thought I would save it before it just turned to dust. one of my first restorations... didn't think I did to to bad.

Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???Relic M40 helmet with screw in vent hole???

Not a bad job of restoration, but I think I would have not bothered with the decal. When you think about it, the helmet had wire for camouflaging it-why even bother putting a decal on that would be covered up? But it Does look Much better than the crumbling rust bucket it was before! Did you do anything to the interior?
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast