Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

Article about: Just as an afterthouht: I asked the seller to send me pics of the M42 shell, before cleaning, also asked where it came from. He didn't know too much about the origins, only that it was found

?

Default Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

Hi Guys,

Just got this relic M40 shell - which is my second German helmet in my collection - I already have a relic M35 (will post pics in my next post) and maybe by tomorrow; I'll have a nice relic M42.
    Now, I usually collect field gear - and before I get into helmets (I do want to get a nice conditioned one - when I get some money together), I just wanted to have a nice relic helmet of each type (M35,40,42), which I can study. Now, I can tell the difference between each type...

Ok, for now, I have seller's photos - before "clean up" - but even now I can see some original color under that surface-rust.
    I don't have the helmet yet, when I get it, I'll update...
    The price was 25 EU.

Cheers,
    Fabe

M40:

Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)
    P
    Many

Well done, Fabe...That's an excellent price! Glad you scored that one...
    cheers, Glenn

?

...and my first helmet ever, got this M35 about six months ago for 55 EU. (I've shown this helmet once before in a thread, when I first got it)

If I win the M42 tomorrow, (that one is the best looking one), I'll show pics of that also.

Cheers,
    Fabe

M35 (ET66 lot number: W 4098)

Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

?

Thanks Glenn, it was a very good price, even here in Hungary...

Quote by bigmacglenn1966 View Post
    Well done, Fabe...That's an excellent price! Glad you scored that one...
    cheers, Glenn

?

well, I did win the M42 shell this morning for about 34 EU.

posting seller's pics. - it was painted grey and white postwar (probably used as a fireman's helmet here in Hungary in the late 40s - 50s) - but the seller stripped most of the post-war paint off from the outside of the shell (still some white spots remain), but admitted, that he didn't touch the inside of the shell. (that would be my job I guess)
    in a way, I'm "glad" it was painted postwar - it proctected the shell from rust it seems - nice (and lots of) original paint still there, and just very little rust...
    my big project now, will be to learn how to "clean" these (my M40 and this), without hurting the original paint.
    there's a photo of the lot number, but I can't read it clearly yet. maybe 0085 (?)

Cheers,
    Fabe

M42:

Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

A nice trio, and a good plan you have to learn the differences by handling these cheaper shells. You will have a big collection of complete helmets before you know it. They get under your skin slowly

?

Thanks...but I think my wallet will have to say something about that also
    glad to have these for now...

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    A nice trio, and a good plan you have to learn the differences by handling these cheaper shells. You will have a big collection of complete helmets before you know it. They get under your skin slowly

Try to clean the M40 when you get it, IMO there is an outline of the decal on the left. You never know

?

Good eye! I asked a seller to at least pour some vater on the shell, where the decal should be, here's a pic:

Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

Quote by DTVPKING View Post
    Try to clean the M40 when you get it, IMO there is an outline of the decal on the left. You never know

Could be, you never know what is hiding under the rust. + its a Quist shell

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast