Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

Article about: Just as an afterthouht: I asked the seller to send me pics of the M42 shell, before cleaning, also asked where it came from. He didn't know too much about the origins, only that it was found

?

Just as an afterthouht:
    I asked the seller to send me pics of the M42 shell, before cleaning, also asked where it came from.
    He didn't know too much about the origins, only that it was found in Budapest.
    Here are the "before" shots:
    Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

Quote by Fabe View Post
    well, I did win the M42 shell this morning for about 34 EU.

posting seller's pics. - it was painted grey and white postwar (probably used as a fireman's helmet here in Hungary in the late 40s - 50s) - but the seller stripped most of the post-war paint off from the outside of the shell (still some white spots remain), but admitted, that he didn't touch the inside of the shell. (that would be my job I guess)
    in a way, I'm "glad" it was painted postwar - it proctected the shell from rust it seems - nice (and lots of) original paint still there, and just very little rust...
    my big project now, will be to learn how to "clean" these (my M40 and this), without hurting the original paint.
    there's a photo of the lot number, but I can't read it clearly yet. maybe 0085 (?)

Cheers,
    Fabe

M42:

Attachment 580803Attachment 580804Attachment 580805Attachment 580806Attachment 580807Attachment 580808

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)
    P
    Many

?

UPDATE:

The M42 shell just arrived.
    Took some quick photos...
    I like it, has lots of original color and some very minor pitting. The inside of the shell could use more cleaning, but I think I might just leave it as it is...

The size is 64 - 66cm around outside by the holes, my M35 ET66 is 68 cm when measured the same way...

Serial / Lot number is maybe: 0085 or U 085 (???) - and I could not find a makers mark yet. Could we know the maker just from this serial number?

THX,
    Fabe

Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)Relic M40 shell, my second German helmet ever:)

Good sound condition relic Fabe. Good representation. timothy

Congrats with the lids.
    Thanks for sharing.
    BR,
    Michael

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2