Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Relic M40 wire from Cassino area

Article about: I have owned this helmet for around 18 months and post it now due to a nice request from a fellow forum member. First the history: This helmet was a ebay purchase and I must say I rarely per

Default Re: Relic M40 wire from Cassino area

The ugly side... (although I guess beauty can be in the eye of the beholder)

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic M40 wire from Cassino area
    P
    Many

Either way thats a wired m40 German helmet and to people like us it's beautiful! In regards to the relic decals I've always kind of wondered if there was a way to clean some of the ones you see on the ole' eBay when you search "WW2 Relic" Most are to far gone but I've seen a few promising ones. Are there ways to clean them of rust and years of hardened soil without damaging the helmet itself? Thanks

Really nice helmet man. I'm with you on the glue, just this once though! I can understand why you did it in this instance. It's nice that the wire is complete on the decal side too, looks like field telephone wire or something to me btw.

Quote by MrMosel View Post
    Either way thats a wired m40 German helmet and to people like us it's beautiful! In regards to the relic decals I've always kind of wondered if there was a way to clean some of the ones you see on the ole' eBay when you search "WW2 Relic" Most are to far gone but I've seen a few promising ones. Are there ways to clean them of rust and years of hardened soil without damaging the helmet itself? Thanks

Cleaning method and chances of the decal surviving depend on the type of soil it was in , or the temperature, moisture levels, soil ph, or maybe it was in clay or sand, or permafrost, or a desert find, or bog, or just in a shattered barn etc etc etc. A million variables make each case unique, I've seen miracles though.

Fantastic helmet. A relic lid with wire is a great mix. Congrats.

ww2
    ?

very nice relic lid!

That's a great lid Glenn, great look. I agree with the glue, was defiantly needed to keep the look. If all relic lids looked like this one I would be broke!

Jason

Quote by MrMosel View Post
    Are there ways to clean them of rust and years of hardened soil without damaging the helmet itself? Thanks
    Oxalic acid can prove useful in reducing rust and bringing back 'some' of the original color but is not without its own problems and health hazards. There are a few threads in the restoration forum to give an idea on what to expect when using the stuff.

WoW Glenn i am very jealous fantastic looking combat vet
    Wayne

?

A really unique relic helmet Glenn. Thank you for posting it! A little epoxy to keep history in place is not bad at all. This helmet have a lot of soul. Surely a beauty. Relic helmets and relics in general just have some special aura about them.

Best regards and thanks, Lars

By the way, I'm positive it is a Quist lid and that is a bigfoot decal, a little extra info

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast