Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Relic named M35 w. liner and chinstrap

Article about: I'm sorry, I can't help you! But I like the helmet...no I love it! Greetings

Default Relic named M35 w. liner and chinstrap

Here's a nice battle damaged relic M35 ( I think... due to the vents?) I picked up recently. The most interesting feature to this one, besides the intact liner, chinstrap and being named, is that there's a broad white vertical stripe still visible going all the way from the back of the skirt up to the dome (approx.). Anyone know what this kind of marking could have signified? No decals present as far as I can see, might be a reissue due to what I've figured as being a darker green paint over a much lighter green... not sure though.

One of the liner pins also looks to be of a different colour at first glance but it seems to me like that the dark green has simply been worn down as there still tiny remnants of the dark green paint remaining.

It was found in the Novgorod region according to the seller, no further info unfortunately... but yeah, really happy with this one. Hope you like it as well!

Lots of photos

Relic named M35  w. liner and chinstrap

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic named M35  w. liner and chinstrap
    P
    Many

Default Re: Relic named M35 w. liner and chinstrap

I do have a soft spot for a good relic I must admit, I like this one

Thats a great one Slados, all the history you can imagine .... and a whole lot more ( poor guy )

Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Now that's a complete relic.

Thanks guys! Pretty pleased with it myself as I had been looking for a good complete one for some time.... does anyone have any thoughts on the white band that's painted on it?Like, what it would have signified etc. ?

Tried checking for maker and lot# but it seems too far gone to have retained any of that info..

?

A very nice old sweat , the white looks like the remains of some whitewash !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Slados28

Nice helmet! Quick ending for this soldier. Some great looking shots of it too.

Green
    In this world there's two kinds of people, my friend. Those with loaded guns, and those who dig. You dig. CE

Quote by Greenhorn View Post
    Slados28

Nice helmet! Quick ending for this soldier. Some great looking shots of it too.

Green
    Thanks, Green

Quote by Paul E View Post
    A very nice old sweat , the white looks like the remains of some whitewash !!
    I'm pretty sure that the white in the back is a vertical stripe of white paint going up towards the dome... the photos may be a bit deceiving as I coated it lightly with some Renaissance wax and I seem to have gone over it a little to quickly as there's white wax remnants still visible all over the shell I need to go over it once more to rub out the white spots of wax.
    The only place it's got actual paint on it is definitely on the back, a 5-6 cm broad vertical stripe from the edge of the skirt and up (plus on the inside skirt where it's been named in what seems to be the same kind of white paint).

A slight resurrection of this thread here; still curious to know if anyone has any suggestions as to what a painted white vertical stripe on the back of a german helmet would have signified... here's a better shot showing this stripe

Seller had it described as some form of "tactical" marking?

Also, I'm having recurring problems with fresh rust coming back over and over again... I'd use citric acid but I'm kind of worried about getting the liner wet, any suggestions as to how I should pacify the rust without doing any further harm to the dried out liner and strap?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast