Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Relic named M35 w. liner and chinstrap

Article about: I'm sorry, I can't help you! But I like the helmet...no I love it! Greetings

Default Re: Relic named M35 w. liner and chinstrap

I'm sorry, I can't help you!
    But I like the helmet...no I love it!
    Greetings

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Relic named M35  w. liner and chinstrap
    P
    Many

Small unit level tactical markings are plausible I suppose, for a one off event. Similar to the little white markers on the backpacks of British soldiers at the Somme, etc.

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    Small unit level tactical markings are plausible I suppose, for a one off event. Similar to the little white markers on the backpacks of British soldiers at the Somme, etc.
    Thanks! Would definitely make sense... it's obvious to me either way that it is some kind of deliberate marking as opposed to winter camo remnants.

Does anyone have suggestions as to how I should treat the shell without harming the strap and liner any further? Would citric acid diluted in water damage be harmful for the leather?

Here is the problem - the leather needs some humidity to stop it completely drying out whereas the helmet needs NO humidity or it will continue rusting. Wax will form a barrier to the moisture ( oxygen ) getting to the metal and a stable temperature ( not always possible I know ) will keep the leather also stable. Had you not already waxed it, I would have used a matt clear spray lacquer ( or fixative ) such as museum use on unstable items ......
    Dan
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I treated the leather with natural fat, but other members detested that...
    Greetings

Quote by Danmark View Post
    Here is the problem - the leather needs some humidity to stop it completely drying out whereas the helmet needs NO humidity or it will continue rusting. Wax will form a barrier to the moisture ( oxygen ) getting to the metal and a stable temperature ( not always possible I know ) will keep the leather also stable. Had you not already waxed it, I would have used a matt clear spray lacquer ( or fixative ) such as museum use on unstable items ......
    Dan
    Thanks for the tips and info! I'm pretty sure that I'd get a good result using citric acid on the shell as it's veeery gentle but what I'm really worried about is damaging the leather parts any further...
    I've also used clear lacquer on a few other very unstable relics but I've had problems with the rust pushing up from underneath and cracking the lacquer surface... not very nice looking.

btw: the helmet formally reeks of something that's reminiscent of burnt gunpowder, anyone know the cause of this? Yes, it's been through a war but that's quite a few years ago by now...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2