Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Was this a relic at some point ???

Article about: Good evening chaps Hope the week has treated you well. The helmet in the pictures below popped-up on a local auction site. The paint and decal are VERY badly fake of course , but looking at

Default Was this a relic at some point ???

Good evening chaps

Hope the week has treated you well. The helmet in the pictures below popped-up on a local auction site. The paint and decal are VERY badly fake of course , but looking at the pitted surface and inner liner ring is there any possibility this was a genuine relic German WW2 Helmet "restored" at some point ? The price is low so if it could be a relic then I would buy it and strip the paint and decals. Priced around $50. The inner air-vent hole looks off to me though but I am VERY far from being an expert.

Your valued opinions would be most welcome lads.

Regards

Andrew
    Attached Images Attached Images Was this a relic at some point ???  Was this a relic at some point ???  Was this a relic at some point ???  Was this a relic at some point ???  Was this a relic at some point ???  Was this a relic at some point ???  Was this a relic at some point ???  Was this a relic at some point ??? 

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Was this a relic at some point ???
    P
    Many

Default Re: Was this a relic at some point ???

Certainly it has all the signs of being a relic that has been badly restored, you never know, it might have traces of original paint underneath or a partial decal.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

If you ask me that's ruined a relic, why the hell can't people leave things alone!...

I say for the that for that price buy it and save it

Quote by Andrew Reichmann View Post
    Good evening chaps

I would buy it and strip the paint and decals. Priced around $50. The inner air-vent hole looks off to me though but I am VERY far from being an expert.

Your valued opinions would be most welcome lads.

Regards

Andrew
    Why would you bother unless you like to strip paint , what are you hoping to find under the overpaint ?

I wouldn't even bother. But some people like to mess with repainted helmets. If that's something you want to do than buy it. It's your money.

?

Note the dome already has rust coming through. Nothing but rusted metal underneath. Better off buying one for 50 bucks that doesn't have the crappy paint job.

Hello Chaps

Well, I passed on the helmet on auction. I've learned the hardway what happens when one tries to "restore" a relic and this particular helmet doesn't seem to be worth that type of trouble. Thank-you for your input, much appreciated.