Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here

Salty but intersting relic

Article about: I can't resist a decent looking relic... This is from the final Spring 1945 actions of the Eastern Front. Careful removal of the encrusted soil and corrosion mix have revealed more and more

Default Salty but intersting relic

I can't resist a decent looking relic...

This is from the final Spring 1945 actions of the Eastern Front. Careful removal of the encrusted soil and corrosion mix have revealed more and more of the rubber strap. Not sure I am going to clean further as its now quite visible and was unsure what a bath would do to the rubber as clearly it adds a huge amount of character, so would welcome any members thoughts on either further cleaning (or not) and any preservation tips?

It looks like it was field grey and is possible there was a decal but certainly not going excavating for one and the strap would clearly cover a big chunk of it anyway.

Hope you like

Steve
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Salty but intersting relic   Salty but intersting relic  

Salty but intersting relic   Salty but intersting relic  

Salty but intersting relic  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Salty but intersting relic
    P
    Many

I would really leave it "as is".

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Based on my relic experience Steve I would enjoy it as it is for as long as it lasts as rust never sleeps and this baby will flake away for some time to come!
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

I have to agree, leave it 'as is'. Oxalic won't shift that heavy rust...electrolysis will but there'll be no helmet left afterwards either. A very cool find regardess!

Not much you can do with this one. Eventually it will brake into pieces not matter what you do.
    Looking for the photo albums of Leutnant Emil Freitag, 3. / G.R. 377

?

I agree with the others. The only other thing I could think of, would be to seal it with a clear coat spray. Just a thought. But I'd just leave it. I might try the clear coat on a similar rusted item to see what happens as a test. I've never tried it, but seems it might help slow the process . In America , we have a spray called " WD-40" , which is an oil based spray and helps stop rust. Although, as the others said, you can't really stop the rust completely. Just leave it. Nice find, by the way!

WD40 won't do much, I had a relic EK2 core that I put in one of those small zip-lock sandwich bags and literally DROWNED in WD40 and left it there, swimming in oil for about a month and once it dried out it continued to slowly flake rust. You could try spraying the shell with that rust converter stuff (like Loctite 'Extend' rust neutralizer) but that will probably just turn the outer surface black and underneath it will continue to deteriorate and before long the chunks will start falling off again.

I will speak with the conservation department at work when I get back in 2 weeks after my vacation (I work for the national museums authority) so hopefully can get some quality advice from the metal conservator)

Thanks guys for the advice so far and I will leave as is unless Glenn finds me a miracle cure!

Cheers
    Steve

Send me a PM sometime after the 18th Steve and i'll see what can be done about finding a method of stabilising this beasty.