MilitaryHarbor - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Sniper kill shot german relic helmet - from my collection

Article about: German helmet with a nice decal still visible. Outside of the helmet is in gread condition thanks to two layers of paint, original green and winter camo applied over it. The helmet coroded o

Default Re: Sniper kill shot german relic helmet - from my collection

Why does everyone think if they have a helmet with a bullet hole that its a sniper bullet hole?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Sniper kill shot german relic helmet - from my collection
    P
    Many

welcome to the forum johnny ,a nice relic you have there ,the decal is in a good condition , as the other members have said its really hard to determine exactly what has happened ,but my thoughts are the bullet entering at low level in an upward motion exiting through the rear crown area ,perhaps the helmet was on its side at maybe a 45 degree angle so allowing for the gap for the liner it might not of killed the wearer ,like i say just my 2 cents ,thanks for sharing and best regards james
    Regards James

?

Quote by DTVPKING View Post
    Why does everyone think if they have a helmet with a bullet hole that its a sniper bullet hole?
    Why does everyone think a sniper will only aim for the head?

I think that only happens in Hollywood............

Looking for LDO marked EK2s and items relating to U-406.....

?

Quote by Adrian View Post
    Why does everyone think a sniper will only aim for the head?

I think that only happens in Hollywood............
    Center mass is the way ahead (no pun intended).

Quote by col james View Post
    welcome to the forum johnny ,a nice relic you have there ,the decal is in a good condition , as the other members have said its really hard to determine exactly what has happened ,but my thoughts are the bullet entering at low level in an upward motion exiting through the rear crown area ,perhaps the helmet was on its side at maybe a 45 degree angle so allowing for the gap for the liner it might not of killed the wearer ,like i say just my 2 cents ,thanks for sharing and best regards james

Thanks for the warm welcome, this forum is amazing. I'm just happy that the decal is visible after so many years in the dirt.
    As to hollywood remarks, I guess my imagination took over since I'm picturing that German to be shot by Vasilij Zajcev……… HA!

Hello and welcome onboard! You have a nice helmet but i see a lot of bullet damaged helmets or sniper kill helmets with only one hole... That makes me think, where is the other one? If a bullet strikes it makes two holes! It is possible for a sniper shot that came from a higher ground but i've seen pretty few helmets with two holes... Was it a regulation to kill germans only from higher points where the bullets leaves only one hole?

In your helmet's story the hole doesn't look to have a vertical direction but a parallel one, like the bullet came from the left and a bit back of the german not from upwards! In that case what caused that damage was caused by a small diameter weapon or from a very long shot and the poor fellow's head stopped the bullet!

Quote by LizardKing View Post
    Hello and welcome onboard! You have a nice helmet but i see a lot of bullet damaged helmets or sniper kill helmets with only one hole... That makes me think, where is the other one? If a bullet strikes it makes two holes! It is possible for a sniper shot that came from a higher ground but i've seen pretty few helmets with two holes... Was it a regulation to kill germans only from higher points where the bullets leaves only one hole?

In your helmet's story the hole doesn't look to have a vertical direction but a parallel one, like the bullet came from the left and a bit back of the german not from upwards! In that case what caused that damage was caused by a small diameter weapon or from a very long shot and the poor fellow's head stopped the bullet!

Interesting, maybe Vasilij Zajcev used hand gun that day HA !

?

As i've pointed out may times before , helmets lost or abandonded on the Battlefield were used for target practice, zeroing of weapons or were hit by shrapnel , etc etc as they provided the perfect target for these activities !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

I decided to clean the helmet with warm water and sponge, followed by drying and oiling. To my surprise I was able to uncover serial numbers..........

E64 , 256

Sniper kill shot german relic helmet - from my collectionSniper kill shot german relic helmet - from my collectionSniper kill shot german relic helmet - from my collection

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2