Steyer Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

SS decal relic helmets

Article about: Just wondering with 3 more relic SS helmets on sale here, why does it seem there are more relic original SS decals then relic army decal lids at any given time? And not just here, at other f

Default SS decal relic helmets

Just wondering with 3 more relic SS helmets on sale here, why does it seem there are more relic original SS decals then relic army decal lids at any given time? And not just here, at other forums as well currently and past years.

Are somehow the fakers getting so good as to fool even the most experienced SS decal authenticators and their fake application methods?

OR is there a reason so many SS decals survived the 70 yr old rust and mud bath and the army ones not?

Just wondering, thanks.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement SS decal relic helmets
    P
    Many

Just all depends where the helmet was found and what soil and conditions it was in, here's my relic heer helmet with a lot of decal left.SS decal relic helmets

There are more SS relic helmets (as well as Fake SS relic helmets) for the sad fact that they bring more money than a plain old Army helmet, so they are always being sought after.
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

?

Quote by WW2headgearlover View Post
    Are somehow the fakers getting so good as to fool even the most experienced SS decal authenticators and their fake application methods?.
    No, not even close.

Easier to fake an SS relic yes. That's why there is a bazillion of them out there. A simple way to turn a worthless pile of decomposing metal into something worth a couple hundred bucks.

But they don't fool the experienced and cautious eye.

For the original SS relics, I think there is something in the composition that makes them more able to survive also. Non-ferrous metal content is high, compared to say a Luftwaffe decal which I would expect to fair worse in the same hole.

?

Quote by KradSpam View Post
    For the original SS relics, I think there is something in the composition that makes them more able to survive also. Non-ferrous metal content is high, compared to say a Luftwaffe decal which I would expect to fair worse in the same hole.
    It's Vanadium, an element used as an anti rusting agent in metals like chrome alloys. The decals are a metallic pulver compound which would rust when exposed to air and moisture otherwise.

Himmlers supermen would look rather silly running around Europe with rusty decals.

Now it's making more sense, as too why nearly complete SS decals are found [but faded] but hard to find an army one in nice complete form after 70 yrs in ground.

Thanks