Marna Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Struck in the back of the head

Article about: About 15 years ago, at an early Baltimre MAX show, I was walking by tables as people were un-packing. All of a suddan, I see a man pulling out what appeared to be an SS multize cross grave m

Dick
    ?

Default Re: Struck in the back of the head

About 15 years ago, at an early Baltimre MAX show, I was walking by tables as people were un-packing. All of a suddan, I see a man pulling out what appeared to be an SS multize cross grave marker. I asked what the story was on this item, and he said in a French accent, "this I just take out of a French farmers barn". I asked how did it get into his barn, and he told my how the farmers pulled grave markers up, and burned them in the winter time, and this one just happened not to be burned. I thought to myself and this frenchman, I wonder if anyone will know this young soldier and his comrades in arms buried next to him, will ever be known or discovered. He said the farmer wasn't interested in discussing it when he asked. I give credit to this Frenchman, he said he did not want more that the cost of his plane ticket, which was very small in those days, I paid his plane ticket. I intended, and did try to find out more about the persons who'e name is on the cross, no luck. Maybe I should post it and let the membership here try to search out the story about this missing in action soul. I would never sell it, but would give it to his family, if they were known to me, and they wanted it. At least the farmers were not digging up the gaves for artifacts!!!
    Last edited by Dick; 04-20-2009 at 07:20 PM. Reason: spelling

2. # ADS

Very interesting story Dick, i hope you do post it here , i would love to view it , and you never know you may just get some info on it , would be a great bonus , cheers Raymond

OKW
    ?

I personally haven't a problem with relics found with remains as long as the effort is made to identify the remains if possible from the relics. A sweetener to those who make a living from dug artifacts could be a reward for reporting these remains to the relevant authorities. The U.S military still expends millions on its hunt for mia and kia, spend some on those with local knowledge. I can't find fault with someone living in worse circumstances than myself trying to make a living from the sale of dug relics. If there was no market, which we sometimes provide, then there would be no digging. And when does grave robbing become archeology, 100 years, 200, 2000?

Dick
    ?

Quote by OKW View Post
    I personally haven't a problem with relics found with remains as long as the effort is made to identify the remains if possible from the relics. A sweetener to those who make a living from dug artifacts could be a reward for reporting these remains to the relevant authorities. The U.S military still expends millions on its hunt for mia and kia, spend some on those with local knowledge. I can't find fault with someone living in worse circumstances than myself trying to make a living from the sale of dug relics. If there was no market, which we sometimes provide, then there would be no digging. And when does grave robbing become archeology, 100 years, 200, 2000?
    Using various means, like a metal detector, cemetary map, shovel, to find a grave, dig it up, take anying that might be of value off or from the body remains, throw the rest back in the hole, and run to the nearest computer key board and anounce a great find of items for sale, THAT IS A GRAVE ROBBER.

Dick
    ?

Phil, I will (try) to get some pictures taken and posted tonight.

Hi Dick, I look forwards to seeing this item.

Cheers, Ade.

Dick
    ?

I put the grave marker on something I think is appropriate and hopefully somebody is able to identify this young man.

Dick
    ?

You can see that he died when he was 17 years old, two days before his 18th birthday, he would be 82 today, 83 this coming August 26.

Hi Dick , any chance of some real close up pics , cheers Raymond

Dick
    ?

I thought it was big enough to read it easily, what's to small?
    I got my wife to post this for me, as I am not a computer person when it comes to that.

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast