Espenlaub Militaria - Top
Display your banner here

Are these SS helmets real???

Article about: Hi everyone, I just purchased two SS helmets, and would like to know if they are, in fact, the real deal. Any Assistance will be much appreciated! Thanks, MilitaryCollect

Default Are these SS helmets real???

Hi everyone,

I just purchased two SS helmets, and would like to know if they are, in fact, the real deal.

Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real??? Are these SS helmets real???

Any Assistance will be much appreciated!

Thanks,

MilitaryCollect

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Are these SS helmets real???
    P
    Many

MAP
    ?

Welcome to the forum.

I'm not skilled in SS decal to provide an opinion, but I am sure someone will be around to provide some advice.
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

You ( might ) be lucky with the first one - we need closer images - but the second M40 has been restored.
    What I mean is that it has once been a dug relic and the liner has been out, cleaned, oiled or waxed and put back. The rivets are clean and devoid of any paint or corrosion. A chinstrap has been added, so when a helmet has had that much work, then the decal immediately come into question. The milkiness reminds me of a fresh decal returned to a buried state to acquire some age. I hope you didn't sell the car for these?
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Hi Danmark,

Your insights are very much appreciated!

Both helmets come from a Russian digger who lives in Volgograd. The first helmet comes from his personal collection, and cost $570, including shipping; I can post a better image of the runes as soon as I get my hands on it. The second helmet comes from his acquaintance and is claimed to have been found in Rostov on the former positions of the 5th SS Panzer Division "Wiking"; this helmet cost $1,700, including shipping. I'm not sure if any of this information helps you at all, but it's all I've got as of yet.

This is my first speculation into SS helmets, so I am naturally apprehensive. Of course I want to believe that the helmets are authentic, but I have to be realistic as well. (I wish I had been wise and posted the pictures here before making the purchase!)

Based on what you said of the second helmet, would you bet that it's a fake, or do you think there might be a chance it's authentic?

Thanks again for your expertise,

Sincerely,

Troy (MilitaryCollect)

Hi Troy,
    There are many here that have more knowledge than me as to the correctness of the graphics but maybe if they used oxalic acid to clean the helmet, that is why it is milky.
    I'm not saying it is bad, just restored and for some collectors that is a problem.
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Check out this thread and compare your 2 decals to the ones shown. SS Runic Decal Reference Section
    William

"Much that once was, is lost. For none now live who remember it."

Figured I'd add a few more of the seller's photos of the second helmet.Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???Are these SS helmets real???