Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here

Two M40's

Article about: It's been a bit quiet here lately, so I thought I'd post some pics of the relics I bought recently. First one comes from a pond in one of the city parks of Groningen. The Germans (SS accordi

Default Two M40's

It's been a bit quiet here lately, so I thought I'd post some pics of the relics I bought recently.

First one comes from a pond in one of the city parks of Groningen.
    The Germans (SS according to some sources) were entrenched here, and eventually burned out by Canadian flamethrowers.

Rough texture green paint on the right side, the left side is pretty rough as you can see..

The second helmet is from the battlefield just north of the City, pretty rusty with some traces of green paint under the rust.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Two M40's   Two M40's  

Two M40's   Two M40's  

Two M40's  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Two M40's
    P
    Many

Default Re: Two M40's

Nice honest relics if only they could talk. Thanks for sharing!...

Yes! if only they could... but that's what keeps this stuff intriguing, wondering about what they have been through back in the day.

So what do you guys think about cleaning the second helmet with oxalic acid?
    I saw some great results here, that made me wonder if I could bring some of the paint or maybe even a decal back.

It's hard to see in the pics, but there is some paint visible, the rust seems to be caked on top of it.
    Also, the helmet still feels heavy.
    On the other hand there are some thin spots/holes, I don't want to risk making it worse...

Nice relics, I'd leave them as they are I think

I'd leave them this way too. Not much paint left, really.........
    Regards,

Steve.

Nice to find these in your local area - any "as found" photos????
    " I'm putting off procrastination until next week "

Tanks for the comments guys

I'm convinced to keep them as they are now.
    I haven't got any pics of them when they were found unfortunately, I would have liked to see those as well.
    Other than the locations these helmets were found I haven't got much info..