Combat-relics.com - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach

Article about: I have never seen that before, but i am almost sure it is period painted. But strange yes. Regards, Lars

Default wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach

wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach, I have just purchased this helmet, The guy I bought it from stated that he had ground dug it from the right flank at Sword Beach, The paint that is left on it in in remarkable condition and still has that gritting feel to the paint, the liner band in also in good condition and has trapped plant roots and a few grains of sand, the split pins are completely intact. The decal is also amazing however I have never had a Wehrmacht helmet so any opinions welcomed, especially on the decal.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach   wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach  

wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach   wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach
    P
    Many

?

Default Re: wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach

You probably know this, but it's an M40 model.

Nitram

M40 indeed. looks good to me. also the decal. the rust seems to be consisted. Therefor IMO it does not look added later. also the way it looks gives me a good feel. the texture looks ok. maybe look with a magnifying glass. see if you can see sparkles in the zilver of the decal. am not the greatest expert on this form. but i would say it looks genuin

Looks like a good relic lid, you have done well

Jason

Nice helmet relic Russell!

I'm always torn when the corrosion is still active ( and exposed to oxygen it will remain so ) because it will continue to drop flakes. What to do? .... some will spray it with FLAT ( matt ) clear acrylic or wax coat it, others will say "leave alone". I seal my relics with flat acrylic - it does darken the oxidised colour but doesn't detract ( IMO ) but keeps the air away from the surface - but that just my take on preservation.

Dan

hello everyone and thanks for your comments, I am really pleased with it. Relic helmets never seize to amaze me. I never usually touch my non relic helmets and leave them completely untouched ! however with relic helmets I usually apply something called wood silk its a non silicone spray with beeswax, its amazing stuff and if you spray it on wood that looks ready for the bin it brings it back to life, I have helmets that look like pure rust and after application bring out paint and other detail. Usually after application a helmet will look oily however after a week or so the helmet will dry out and it will no longer look nor feel oily.

?

This wood silk sounds interesting.

Regards, Lars

Had a look about - Wood Silk is available in Europe & the UK but doesn't seem to be available in Australia.
    As it is a non-silicone furniture spray polish, similar products with a glycerin base should work just as well - I'm going to do some searching and let all you "preservers" know.
    Should be better than - yuk, vaseline or oil ......
    Cheers, Dan

Well I am in the UK and the wood silk is about £1.50 for a tin, I sprayed the helmet today and its just drying out, ill post pics when its dry.

I had a closer look at the helmet toady and noticed the decal seems a little low from the vent, maybe its just me being picky, the other weird thing I noticed it the inner liner band looks to be painted the same color as the helmet ? has anyone seen this before ?

Pictures attached

pics
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach   wehrmacht single decal helmet relic from sword beach  

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast