Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yet ANOTHER winter cammo!!!!!

Article about: iDan, i saw this one on Ebay and i'm not convinced of the ''period '' camo...but the shell is nice !!

Default Re: Yet ANOTHER winter cammo!!!!!

Dan

As long as you are happy with it then thats all that matters. I am sure we all have certain items in our collections that although may not be liked and approved by everybody, we still keep and enjoy owning. I have a couple of SS TK's that were slated in the past and I will not post on here because I know they will be given bad feedback, I am still keeping them, opinions change over time. As long as your item did not cost silly money then its not a problem
    Just enjoy it for what it is

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Yet ANOTHER winter cammo!!!!!
    P
    Many

Dan i have to say when i first saw this relic i really liked it ,i never even thought the paint work could of been added at a later stage ,maybe if i spotted this one i would of bidded for it also so dont feel bad ok so the paint isnt period but on the positive side all is not lost ,you could always remove this coating ,you never know whats hiding underneath and you cant deny it's misshapen look will always be a talking point ,i really hope to see this on that wall of your dan ,you are a valued member contributing to this forum in more ways than one your latest finds are an inspiration to people like me at the lower end of the stahlhelm collecting market
    Regards James

I am sure Dan can take it on the chin !!! Our Aussie cousins down under are made of stern stuff !! Although I must admit it was a knockout punch from Doug !! lol

I just like it for what it is, a very interesting relic.

?

Guys the main point here is even if buying relics at the bottom end of the market why waste money on something that is not original . It is each to his own of course , these smashed up helms like this we just leave in the forest when we find them but if you are going to collect items such as this surely the minimum standard that should be adhered to is that they are an original , not just the shell but including the paint , any remaining liner etc etc or are we just going to accept sellers sexing up relic helmets but it's ok because they don't cost much and are at the bottom end of the market ?

Even with relics we need to learn the lessons that seperate the fakes from originals !!

Just my thoughts !!
    The gates of hell were opened and we accepted the invitation to enter" 26/880 Lance Sgt, Edward Dyke. 26th Bn Northumberland Fusiliers , ( 3rd Tyneside Irish )

1st July 1916

Thought shall be the harder , heart the keener,
    Courage the greater as our strength faileth.
    Here lies our leader ,in the dust of his greatness.
    Who leaves him now , be damned forever.
    We who are old now shall not leave this Battle,
    But lie at his feet , in the dust with our leader

House Carles at the Battle of Hastings

Quote by Gunny Hartmann View Post
    I just like it for what it is, a very interesting relic.
    Paul has a point. Why is it interesting?? Because it is crushed or because someone allegedly played around with it and " sexed" it up as it were to get a better deal ?? Food for thought one would say. We cant really be praising items that have been fooled around with, where will it end .................................

?

Dan, and members of the forum, what one chooses to put into their collection is up to them. Relics, mint helmets, it matters not to me. However posting an item as a "winter camo" when it's clearly a postwar paint and age job no matter if it is on a dead mint M35 or a squashed bucket like this leaves the item open for discussion. Other collectors will read the thread and use examples posted here to further their knowledge.

So what is posted should be correct and if there is disagreement over originality of an artifact posted, we can discuss and disagree as gentlemen as per the rules of the forum and discuss the item itself. Not reply in a backhanded manner about your finances, modeling, collector consensus, other (fake) examples unaffiliated with the posted item, offer maybe's, call it art, and be critical of others who reply back. Stick to the item period.

Your reply is not up to forum standards Dan and quite frankly it's not the first time hence my sharp response. Replies to you were courteous and from those who took a sincere interest in your thread. Because someone disagrees the winter camo is real and can give lucid reasoning as to why there is no need to respond in such fashion.

In closing yes I do not beat around the bush, it's not in my nature. If you or anyone else must reply in such a fashion WRF is not the forum for you. It's just that simple and as moderator I get the enjoyable job of enforcing our high standards of conduct, so I call it as I see it, nothing personal Dan.

Even if the camo on this relic was authentic, i'd only pay minimal cash for it. There must be some pretty desperate people out there to paint and age a relic in this condition.
    I don't know the value of TR helmets, but let's just say a snow camo shell is worth 50% more than a shell with normal paint, i'd only be willing to pay about £30 for this relic or £45 with snow camo. It really is a bit sad doing all that faking for an extra £15.
    I'd prefer if it hadn't been messed with but i still like it!..

?

$15 or $15,000 prices are subjective and an item is worth what one is willing to pay in the end. In any case a helmet with a fake camo on a $15 helmet makes it just as fake as on a $15,000 helmet.

one of the things i like about the forum is finding out the detailed reasons why an item as in dans case is classed as a played with example ,its a huge learning curve for me personally so reading the pointers is great and one of the primary reasons of being a member , i totally agree why a bogus paint job should be highlighted in this manner ,the truth can be a hard pill to swallow ,i sincerely hope this wont be the last we here from dan
    Regards James

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast