Griffin Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Yet ANOTHER winter cammo!!!!!

Article about: iDan, i saw this one on Ebay and i'm not convinced of the ''period '' camo...but the shell is nice !!

Default Re: Yet ANOTHER winter cammo!!!!!

Quote by col james View Post
    one of the things i like about the forum is finding out the detailed reasons why an item as in dans case is classed as a played with example ,its a huge learning curve for me personally so reading the pointers is great and one of the primary reasons of being a member , i totally agree why a bogus paint job should be highlighted in this manner ,the truth can be a hard pill to swallow ,i sincerely hope this wont be the last we here from dan
    Dan will be back, he's an Aussie!! They don’t shy away from anything! Without them in N.Afrika we ( British ) would have had our arses kicked good style !!
    Saying that, I totally respect Doug and his opinions, I am not just ass licking as it were, I’ve known Doug ( not personally obviously ) for a few years now, I am a member on another forum as well and have seen his posts and asked his opinions many times, he comes across as a nice guy, always willing to advise, never be-little’s anybody
    This just got a little out of hand really

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Yet ANOTHER winter cammo!!!!!
    P
    Many

Well, I have only 1 question - who is so stupied and wants to fake a relic helmet? We all agree that the helmet is 100% original. We also agree that it has very ineteresting damage andit is well preserved. We agree, that the damage is original.

We do not agree if the paint original or not. I'm not an expert but I do not belive anyone can make a profit with this paint job. It is a very strong helmet shell and after cleaning I'm 100% sure it has still a lot of original paint there. If You think it is overpainted just remove the paint and there will be original paint still visible.

I have often pondered the same question! How long does it take for someone to produce such examples and what financial gain is there!! Obviously someone with alot of time on ones hands and any financial reward is a benefit I guess

Well, in my country price of such shell (with "winter camo" or not") is at least 50 euros (around $65). And I live in a country from where many fakes are actually are comming. OK, lets pretend I got this shell for 30 euro because I'm local and I know local diggers. Then I have to clean it. As it is is very nice shell I belive it has a lot of original paint still there. If it is so, i do not see any point at all to owerpaint it. But well, lets pretend I still decided to "fake" it and overpaint. What I have to do. At first there are a lot of cracks in the shell. I have to take care that there will be no paint in the cracks after overpainting. Well, it is my first task to cover all the cracks. The second task is to paint the helmet. The thisrd task is to fake the paint inside the helmet (please have a look - there is similar paint inside covered with rust). Then I have to make the helmet look old. All this takes several days. And Dan will pay me maybe 100 euros. So is 70 euros really worth of all this? I think the answer is no. Russia and Esatern Europe are not for very many years any more regions where You can get items almost for nothing.

Quote by Frundsberg View Post
    Well, in my country price of such shell (with "winter camo" or not") is at least 50 euros (around $65). And I live in a country from where many fakes are actually are comming. OK, lets pretend I got this shell for 30 euro because I'm local and I know local diggers. Then I have to clean it. As it is is very nice shell I belive it has a lot of original paint still there. If it is so, i do not see any point at all to owerpaint it. But well, lets pretend I still decided to "fake" it and overpaint. What I have to do. At first there are a lot of cracks in the shell. I have to take care that there will be no paint in the cracks after overpainting. Well, it is my first task to cover all the cracks. The second task is to paint the helmet. The thisrd task is to fake the paint inside the helmet (please have a look - there is similar paint inside covered with rust). Then I have to make the helmet look old. All this takes several days. And Dan will pay me maybe 100 euros. So is 70 euros really worth of all this? I think the answer is no. Russia and Esatern Europe are not for very many years any more regions where You can get items almost for nothing.
    Is your point of view then that this helmet is original in its entirety?

All I can say is that it is very nice and original German helmet with very nice damage. I do not want to argue about the paint because I'm not an expert but just an average collector. There is a saying "put Your money where Your mouth is". So if this helmet is for sell, please send me a PM:-).

All I can say is that it is very nice and original German helmet with very nice damage. I do not want to argue about the paint because I'm not an expert but just an average collector. There is a saying "put Your money where Your mouth is". So if this helmet is for sell, please send me a PM:-).
    I think thats the point of the thread?? Dan is the owner of the helmet and bought it as original ?? Maybe drop him a PM

I will:-). It is just strange that at first all are happy with that helmet but after when some moderators have said it is bad all other forum members are acting like sheep - bad-bad-bad... If this is bad, why not to sell it? I have my own opinion and it is: if this helmet is a fake it will take so many working hours to fake it and so many skills that i personally do not belive someone going to do it. I do not know how much Dan paid but I belive not more than 200 dollars. Technically it is of course possible to make such fake and even a better one. But I do not belive it is the case here.

Controversial ! lol

Well, I have only 1 question - who is so stupied and wants to fake a relic helmet?
    Somebody that is NOT stupid, knows that there is a market for them, and wishes to capitalize on that fact - plain and simple.
    Non nobis, Domine, non nobis, sed nomini tuo da gloriam!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast