Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here

camo paratrooper helmet

Article about: Hello all, I have this helmet listed for sale and an interested buyer just wanted a confirmation of authenticity on it. I feel this helmet is original and untouched and would appreciate a co

Default camo paratrooper helmet

Hello all,

I have this helmet listed for sale and an interested buyer just wanted a confirmation of authenticity on it.

I feel this helmet is original and untouched and would appreciate a confirmation if at all possible. Thank you!

William Kramer

camo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmetcamo paratrooper helmet

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement camo paratrooper helmet
    P
    Many

Looks like it's complete & original. Don't want to comment much on camo paint without handling it. But a guess would be that it looks period done. Maybe was a tropical tan, then repainted green or something similar. IMO
    D

Hello again,

My initial thought process was that it was at one point a tropical camo that had that layer removed due to a chance in theater.

William Kramer

Could be. Maybe the green painted aluminum bolts were painted green only to tone them down...not the entire helmet. So as you say.. trop paint removed similar to removing whitewash after the winter.
    D

M38
    ?

This is a tough one to figure out. All the components are original it seems - shell, liner, strap, and bolts. Unusual to have 4 slot/vent aluminum bolts but not unheard of.

The paint has me scratching my head. Maybe it is an optical illusion or maybe just the photos but I am having difficulty telling whether the tan is on top of the dark color or under the dark color? And it looks like there is black paint on there too. So depending on the order of the paint layers, it seems it was either camo'd in tan then overpainted in black and that was mostly removed. Or it was painted black and then tan added on top of that, then partially removed. If the latter, it would likely be done post war, both colors. But if the former, the tan at least could be wartime. Either way, it looks to me like it has been cleaned at some point.

This is a helmet that would benefit greatly by an in hand inspection. Sorry to be so negative or inconclusive but it is not one that can be clearly judged with photos alone. Good bones, light damage to the liner, but questionable paint. My opinion only of course

Cheers,
    Terry

Here are some more photos and more information on the helmet. Hopefully this will solidify some things..

A very special M38 Fallschirmjäger helmet! This helmet was found about 15 years ago in Trento (Italy). Nearly 20 paratrooper helmets were found in a house hiding underneath the basement stairs. Some helmets even had camo covers attached. A well unknon story amoungst paratrooper collectors! All helmets are hiding in this world top collections today!

M38 helmet with original attached liner and chin strap. Original "sand" yellow camo color added! Worn off and (most probably) partially removed by the Paratrooper when they went up fighting more North! The shell comes with nearly full original grey factory paint.

Aluminum rivets. Shell lot numbered and "68" size stamed. The maker is hard to read.
    Leather liner still soft. Signs of wear. "F.W.MÜLLER" maker marked. "Kopfweite Gr. 56" size stamped.
    2nd pattern leather chin straps with serious signs of wear. Light rust to the button. One crack to the top layer. The backing however holds the strap absolutely fine.

A great helmet with a lot of character! Worn condition.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture camo paratrooper helmet   camo paratrooper helmet  

camo paratrooper helmet   camo paratrooper helmet  

camo paratrooper helmet  

I agree with Terry .....Looks like an all original helmet and components ....Rubbed or cleaned at some point. A bit of a head scratcher when it was cleaned but who knows.....? a nice helmet ....

I remember this one coming up at the time. Found the original link:
    ratisbon's | Luftwaffe M38 camo paratrooper helmet (Trento find) | DISCOVER GENUINE MILITARIA, ANTIQUES & COINS

I won't try to comment on authenticity, but I hope it turns out to be a good one as it looks very nice.
    Nick