Damn Yankee - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Fallschirmjager helmet opinions

Article about: Cheers everyone, I recently acquired this helmet out of the storage unit of a collector. It has obviously been repainted post 1945, but the shell appears to be original to me. The lot number

Default Fallschirmjager helmet opinions

Cheers everyone,

I recently acquired this helmet out of the storage unit of a collector. It has obviously been repainted post 1945, but the shell appears to be original to me. The lot number and maker mark matches up to known original examples. I'm not too sure about the liner, but it looks good to me. If anyone has any opinions on the helmet it would be much appreciated.

Cheers, Warbuff
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Fallschirmjager helmet opinions   Fallschirmjager helmet opinions  

Fallschirmjager helmet opinions   Fallschirmjager helmet opinions  

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Fallschirmjager helmet opinions
    P
    Many

From the pics...shell looks okay. Liner is post war repro...can't comment on the decal. Too much "action" going on with it. As you said, paint looks post war & probably is

Thanks for the comment. I was fairly positive that shell is real, i just didnt know about the rest. I guess I did pretty well for $300

Interesting to note....almost looks white under the tan in the damaged areas. Or is it my monitor ? Would be a shame if someone buried an FJ whitewash with post war paint. Maybe my imagination is getting the best of me. Is that the tan/yellow paint on the chinstrap harness ? That would rule out the chance of this overpaint as being period.

I bring this up because I have seen a few tan ones sprayed in similar manner & condition that were deemed original. So I try not to discount anything too hastily these days

It does appear that there's white paint under the tan, but I am not sure. And yes there is overspray on the chinstrap harness. I know there are really good reproduction liners out there, and if this is one, it seems to be a pretty good one to me.

Well worth a punt at $300 i'd say ,regards Paul

To me the shell could be original,the rest look post war

Thanks for all the comments. I figured the shell was real, but I was skeptical about the rest. However its not bad for a first para helmet!

Reason your liner leather is all warped is because it was made for a size 71 shell with 59 CM leather & was stuffed into a 68 shell.

This helmet intrigues me in that the rubber dome pad looks original & so does the feldgrau paint inside the dome. Also, the tan paint is cracking on the inner rim, this was not painted too recently. Wonder what really went down with this ?

MAP
    ?

Quote by real steel View Post
    Reason your liner leather is all warped is because it was made for a size 71 shell with 59 CM leather & was stuffed into a 68 shell.

This helmet intrigues me in that the rubber dome pad looks original & so does the feldgrau paint inside the dome. Also, the tan paint is cracking on the inner rim, this was not painted too recently. Wonder what really went down with this ?
    Funny you mention this David (re: the cracked paint).

I posted the same observation on Wednesday from my tablet but for some reason the post didn't go through (weak wifi?) Anyway. I noticed this anomaly and while I will defer to others, I find it would be an odd place (as well as hard) for a faker to try to create age....
    "Please", Thank You" and proper manners appreciated

My greatest fear is that one day I will die and my wife will sell my guns for what I told her I paid for them

"Don't tell me these are investments if you never intend to sell anything" (Quote: Wife)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast