Adlermilitaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

FJ helmets: Why are they so valuable?

Article about: Very nice helmet there! As you say the prices are very high for these, and especially complete with liner, straps etc! I am desperately trying to find an original M38 helmet shell, can anyon

Default FJ helmets: Why are they so valuable?

Hi,

I have often wondered why the authentic German WW2 paratrooper steel helmets are so very expensive?

Ditto for the uniforms, badges, smocks, etc.

I can only suppose that there weren't that many surviving artifacts?

Thanks for any comments and input on the subject.

Ian

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement FJ helmets: Why are they so valuable?
    P
    Many

Default re: FJ helmets: Why are they so valuable?

Hi Ian, Airborne forces kit is always sought after and commands a premium in price, be it German, British or US. There is, of course, less of it around compared to regular Infantryman's gear. Good old supply and demand. Plus a fair dose of hype!

Airborne gear is also widely faked due to the above factors.

I was lucky to buy my named, early spanner bold, single decal Fallschirmjager M38 helmet about 12 years ago when it cost me £1,100. I never thought I would own one to be honest? But the price was good even then and we decided to push the boat out and get one before they came completely unaffordable. It was a wise move in hindsight given the prices today.

Cheers, Ade.
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture FJ helmets: Why are they so valuable?  
    Attached Images Attached Images FJ helmets: Why are they so valuable? 
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

Default Re: FJ helmets: Why are they so valuable?

What a great score Ade, what would it go for today, $7000 - $9000? More maybe? They fetch crazy prices, you did really well with that one mate!

Hi Dave, it would fetch a few bob!

The seller even threw in a free tropical canteen.

The helmet allegedly originated out of Greece, but that is a story with no facts to back it up. No other details came with it.

Cheers, Ade.
    Had good advice? Saved money? Why not become a Gold Club Member, just hit the green "Join WRF Club" tab at the top of the page and help support the forum!

super lid Ade, if you ever want to double your money let me know

You were smart in that investment, Ade. I wish I had started collecting years ago. At what they are now I will never see one of those in my collection. Even the relic prices are nuts. I'd have to sell my entire collection to buy just one, and I'm not about to do that. Perhaps one day the floor will drop out and the prices will follow, the maybe I can jump on one. I'm not counting on that to happen.

I bought a M35 DD back in 1985 for $350 - mind you, my weekly wage was $250!!
    No, sadly I do not still have it ........... but the good news is my wage has gone up!
    Dan

Always a plus side Dan!

Cracking lid Ade, did well to jump in. Like the others had said I wish I could have started earlier, though I couldn't afford it then, certainly can't now, lol

Jason

?

Quote by dustyrustee View Post
    Hi,

I have often wondered why the authentic German WW2 paratrooper steel helmets are so very expensive?

Ditto for the uniforms, badges, smocks, etc.

I can only suppose that there weren't that many surviving artifacts?

Thanks for any comments and input on the subject.

Ian
    That is certainly partially the case- it was a tiny force compared to the regular Heer, for example, so had correspondingly fewer bits of kit; plus in many cases it's different and even unique design-wise. I expect, however, the reason is more their elite status- then and now, the airborne forces of WWII, the Fallschirmjäger most of all, have such a reputation as to make anything associated with them desirable to virtually anyone. MAJOR desirability coupled with small supply equals big bucks. And the helmet is iconic- not just a regular style used by the Fallis, but a variant that's just theirs and is pretty cool-looking itself LOL Recognizable anywhere. Plus I think most guys like helmets- for whatever reason, I expect there are very few collectors who wouldn't want a helmet of this or that type regardless of their specialization.
    Ohhhhh- pillage then burn...

There was this "cursed Fallschirmjager helmet" thread a year or two ago, any news on that? And I agree with Matt L, the elite status makes any item desireable. Fifty years from now and helmets used by todays elite operators will be making big money. Its the human mind that is fascinated in everything mythical and such.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast