Great Militaria - Top
Display your banner here
Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast

Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Article about: Guys, could you take a look at a helmet I've been offered today from a guy in northern Italy. I've had the helmet in my hand, and it's without doubt 100% spot on, as it the liner and chin-st

Default Re: Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Quote by kozowy1967 View Post
    I dont believe thats true I have actually been looking at Luftwaffe Adlers before I commented and when I compare it side to side with my own I like the detail on the Adler you have posted for what it is worth.

Regards Mark K
    OK, thanks Mark for your opinion, I removed the picture of the whole helmet as I don't want the discussion to get bogged down with discussions on the camo - there are a lot of people who think camo's followed pretty strict rules...or should be applied in a certain way............I just want the opinions on the decal. Thanks very much for your time and input,

Mike

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please
    P
    Many

Quote by talltom View Post
    lol
    imho i think its good the wear seems to correspond with the helmet (from what i can see) can you post a picture of the whole helmet as well thought
    Tom, again......thanks for your opinion on the Adler. As I said to Mark, I removed the picture of the whole helmet as I don't want the discussion to get bogged down with discussions on the camo, which it's BOUND to degrade into! When enough people have shared opinions, I'll post pictures of the whole helmet. Thanks very much for your time and input,

Mike

186 Views and four people commented......surely there are more than 4 guys out there confident enough to form an opinion of a pretty common decal?
    Come on guys.....stand up and be counted!

202 views!!!!

From what I see, I am not sold. If the camo paint is spot on, since it is painted around the decal you should be confident in it, so why do you need opinions? When I evaluate a helmet I want to see the whole piece, inside and out. I personally don't like it from what I see from the one photo you posted. The decal has decent graphics, but in my opinion no age whatsoever. On closer look, I also don't like the face or the talons on the foot holding the cross. In addition, the bolt looks as if it has been turned recently, which is a red flag to me. I can't wait to see the whole piece, but from this solitary shot, I am not impressed. I hope I passed your test. Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 11-22-2011 at 03:03 PM.

kipper
    ?

need more pictures,you need the overall view to help form an opinion

I agree with helmet2id. An entire picture of the helmet is needed... if the helmet is 100% spot on, among other things, the condition of the decal should match the paintjob and visa versa.

I'm interested in opinions of the decal because a lot of people are banging-on about the latest Luftwaffe decals being so great. I'd like to be sure that nothing is Lurking UNDER this deal.....like an original, that's been removed, or totally damaged. I recently saw a genuine FJ helmet for sale in Switzerland, that post war had been used as a climbing helmet and painted bright blue and orange. It's not the first time I've seen this post-war use either as a lot of Mountain Rescue teams used them for a limited time. removing paint has been discussed at length on this forum and while it's not a difficult task to remove some post-war paints to reveal the underlying original finish...........the majority of people believe that most methods and or chemicals to remove this "new" layer would also strip or completely damage the decals

Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

What is the point of this thread? Is it to decide whether to remove post war applied paint and decals or to evaluate the originality, or lack thereof, of the decal? Do you think/know if the decal is right? Also, from your initial posts, it seemed to me that you were saying the camo paint was 100% correct. Now it seems you intend to strip the paint and decal and want to make sure there isn't an original decal underneath. Why not just show the whole helmet, and let us know what input your would like to get from the members. People are taking the time to look at the picture you posted, and some are trying to be helpful, but it is a two way street. Jim G.

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 ... LastLast