Military Antiques Stockholm - Top
Display your banner here
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Article about: Guys, could you take a look at a helmet I've been offered today from a guy in northern Italy. I've had the helmet in my hand, and it's without doubt 100% spot on, as it the liner and chin-st

?

Default Re: Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Yuh if Your going to buy a car or not do you make your decision on if you like the condition of the drivers door panel?

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please
    P
    Many

Jim,
    I put in in very simple English, I don't quite know WHY you think I intend to strip the paint off? IF you read my last message properly, you'll see that I said I've SEEN post-war repainted helmets that had subsequently had their post war paint stripped OFF.....and DAMAGED the original decals. I've tried to totally eliminate the paint finish from the thread, and concentrate JUST on the decal in the faint hope that, surprise surprise.......people would JUST give their opinions on JUST the decal, but it seems to have been in vain as it keeps coming up. To reiterate my previous message:-
    I'm interested in opinions of the decal because a lot of people are banging-on about the latest Luftwaffe decals being so great. I recently saw a genuine Fallschirmjager helmet for sale in Switzerland, that post war had been used as a climbing helmet and painted bright blue and orange. It's not the first time I've seen this post-war use either as a lot of Mountain Rescue teams used them for a limited time. removing paint has been discussed at length on this forum and while it's not a difficult task to remove some post-war paints to reveal the underlying original finish...........the majority of people believe that most methods and or chemicals to remove this "new" layer would also strip or completely damage the decals

I'm totally convinced that the decal is genuine WW2.......I was just interested in the opinions of the experts here on the forum - that IS the whole purpose of this isn't it, and not just a mutual appreciation society? There are quite a few seriously well versed guys on this forum, (One of them has already given his opinion and for that I'm grateful), but from what I've seen......nobody forms an opinion until they do....then they just follow suit as it's safer.
    This is JUST about the decal and people's opinion of it.
    Isn't there a famous quote that goes something like," Britain and America are two countries divided by a common language!"

Quote by lew07 View Post
    Yuh if Your going to buy a car or not do you make your decision on if you like the condition of the drivers door panel?
    There again........you wouldn't buy a Rolls Royce that was otherwise perfect...........that had a Skoda engine either!

I just don't think it is a good ET bird, and I would want to be sure if I was buying a camo Fallschirmjager. Look at the front talon of the top foot, no detail at all. No "dot " on the rear wing near the shoulder, and I don't like the detail of the tail feathers. The eye looks too big and off, i.e. too far forward, and the bottom foot lacks the detail that I see in other ET birds. I would be careful. Just my opinion. Jim G.
    Last edited by helmet2id; 11-22-2011 at 05:28 PM.

?

Quote by davies435 View Post
    There again........you wouldn't buy a Rolls Royce that was otherwise perfect...........that had a Skoda engine either!

Fake decal, IMO and I don't like what I see of the paint either.
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

[QUOTE=davies435;415081]
    I'm totally convinced that the decal is genuine WW2.......

If you buy it, please post the whole helmet. Thanks in advance, Jim G.

?

Having just taken the time to check as many ET luftwaffe decals as i could find, i have to say that there are certain discrepencies in the eagles talons, ie the lower talon should be a lot closer to the swastika almost touching, the top talon lacks detail on the outer claw, the extended leg appears very thin as opposed to the other ET decals viewed, although it has the almost vertical leg as the others, but the outer adhesion border at the swastika looks too thick to the left but this may be just a poor application, as for the camo, i think without seeing the whole subject matter, it would be imprudent to offer an opinion at this stage

Quote by Bond View Post
    Fake decal, IMO and I don't like what I see of the paint either.
    Thanks buddy.......much appreciated,

Mike

Quote by davejb View Post
    Having just taken the time to check as many ET luftwaffe decals as i could find, i have to say that there are certain discrepencies in the eagles talons, ie the lower talon should be a lot closer to the swastika almost touching, the top talon lacks detail on the outer claw, the extended leg appears very thin as opposed to the other ET decals viewed, although it has the almost vertical leg as the others, but the outer adhesion border at the swastika looks too thick to the left but this may be just a poor application, as for the camo,
    Fab...thanks for your input Dave,

Mike

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast