Virtual Grenadier - Top
Display your banner here
Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Article about: Guys, could you take a look at a helmet I've been offered today from a guy in northern Italy. I've had the helmet in my hand, and it's without doubt 100% spot on, as it the liner and chin-st

Default Re: Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Quote by davies435 View Post
    Thanks buddy.......much appreciated,

Mike
    It is the area where the talons are that concern me (and others), in particular the area where it grabs the swaz and also the missing dot on the wing, which has by coincidence been scratched in this area....
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

2. # ADS
    Circuit advertisement Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please
    P
    Many

Thanks!,
    Dots on the wings..........never heard of this before, could you explain it to me please?
    What other area's concern you then? I think a lot of people could learn from this,
    Thanks again
    Mike

On most Luft decals on the rear wing (the bird's left wing) there is spot a little to the right of the shoulder as you look at the decal that connects the top black detail line with the thicker black field from which the wing feathers sprout. This "dot" is across from the first blunt wing feather, and, I believe, is found on most, if not all ET birds. This "dot" is apparent of the decal posted by Mark. On your example, there is suspicious damage to the decal where the dot should be found, which I suspect was intentionally made to mask the absence of this key feature of a real decal. In the reference book by Ken Niewiarowicz there is a very good discussion of this feature. Jim G.

Quote by helmet2id View Post
    On most Luft decals on the rear wing (the bird's left wing) there is spot a little to the right of the shoulder as you look at the decal that connects the top black detail line with the thicker black field from which the wing feathers sprout. This "dot" is across from the first blunt wing feather, and, I believe, is found on most, if not all ET birds. This "dot" is apparent of the decal posted by Mark. On your example, there is suspicious damage to the decal where the dot should be found, which I suspect was intentionally made to mask the absence of this key feature of a real decal. In the reference book by Ken Niewiarowicz there is a very good discussion of this feature. Jim G.
    Saves me from trying to explain it, which would have required more motivation to answer this question than I have at present, though maybe later I would have attempted it.

Ken N's book has lots of really good pictures of original decals which can be compared against the thread starter, which is where I always look to check before offering an opinion, just to double check I am not talking through my arse!
    Regards,

Jerry

Whatever its just an opinion.

[QUOTE=helmet2id;415264]On most Luft decals on the rear wing (the bird's left wing) there is spot a little to the right of the shoulder as you look at the decal that connects the top black detail line with the thicker black field from which the wing feathers sprout. This "dot" is across from the first blunt wing feather, and, I believe, is found on most, if not all ET birds. This "dot" is apparent of the decal posted by Mark. On your example, there is suspicious damage to the decal where the dot should be found, which I suspect was intentionally made to mask the absence of this key feature of a real decal. QUOTE]

Jim, thanks for your effort on this answer......I've just looked at a Helmet I bought last Friday and have with me.....and can see exactly what you mean - thanks a lot...really informative.

Mike

[/ATTACH]Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions pleaseI take it you were talking about the dot in this picture?
    Click to enlarge the picture Click to enlarge the picture Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please  

Quote by davies435 View Post
    [/ATTACH]Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions pleaseI take it you were talking about the dot in this picture?
    Yes. Some original decals do not have this feature, but most if not all ET birds do. Jim G.

Hmm, OK this is on a Q helmet, but a factory refinish helmet at that.

?

A few things come to mind as this thread progresses and I read all the post by the members first I will address comments made by Davies435 (As I first stated I like the detail on the Adler that you posted for what it is worth) In know way was this a confirmation of originality this was my opinion and many others have chimed in since then pointing out apparent discrepancies with this particular decal which have been reinforced by the fact that the decal has been applied on a ET helmet shell and is missing a key feature virtually on all luftwaffe adler decals ie the dot on the right wing this feature is apparently lost to us now as there is damage in this area which Jim G and Jerry have pointed out would be a key factor in identification. As to your comments about the membership following suit you speak as if you consider a good many of the membership as yes men that are unwilling to post a reply until some one steps up to the plate first and the rest will follow along and agree I think that this is statement is unfounded . I myself have made more than one statement and or replied to more than one post were I have been proven wrong and or have been corrected by a more senior member with more experiance and or a member who has seen a detail that I have missed this I consider part of the learning experiance of belonging to this forum and have learned much about Luftwaffe Adler decals that I did not know until yesterday and for this Iam greatfull to Jim G and Jerry for pointng them out and sharing this informaton as it makes me a little wiser as I make my way through the mine field of collecting Third Reich artifacts. As to the camouflage paint job on this particular M38 FJ Helmet. Apparently I am the only member of this forum that seen the original photo that was posted when you started this thread so out of respect for your wishes I will keep my thoughts to myself but I must agree with the others that to have a proper evaluation of this helmet you really need to post detailed photos so that the membership can see the big picture as it were. and give it a proper look over. I do know if it was me and I was considering purchasing this helmet I would post as many detailed photos as I could and would want it disected by the membership before I even thought of it but hey thats just me. When you were looking for members to make comments on this helmet you asked them to stand up and be counted I know think it is your turn.

<FOR WHAT IT IS WORTH>

Regards Mark K

Mark,
    Bloody well said my friend, you are indeed a dark horse. I posted this original message from what I'd seen so far on the forum, somebody posts a few pictures....silence, one of the "big boys" states and opinion......bingo, generally the suit is (as you said) quickly followed. I spoke to Adrian (privately) recently as I had some information about the originality of another member's purchase. I hadn't wanted to put the guy in an awkward situation, to embarrass him or to disappoint him publicly. Adrian suggested (as I'd considered doing) to contact him privately as it was the "right" thing to do, and maybe if he so chose, it could be used to educate the other members on the forum as to just how GOOD a refurb, repaint, repro or tampered-with item can be. This caused me a touch of embarrassment also as I saw the item, had an instant case of deja-vous....followed by a long period of "oh no.....please tell me it's not"......as I read the comments.
    I formulated this exercise after three new members who I've spoken to OFF the forum have voiced the opinion that it's fast become a "good old boys", mutual appreciation society, where unless somebody is posting pictures of a few K's worth of stuff.....nobody is helpful or even bothers. (NOT MY WORDS I hasten to add!) while there will no doubt be those who deny this, I'm sure a lot of people will otherwise agree.

OK.......lets get back to the decal.
    Mark, I understand your point about seeing MORE of the complete item to form an opinion, but I based this exercise on JUST the decal for a few reason's.
    I wanted firstly to see if there was more than a handful of people here who actually know what they're talking about on this stuff, or if there was, as I suspected a large percentage of "yes-men" (didn't actually want to use that term........but YOU broke the ice on it!!!).
    I wanted to see if people would actually quantify WHY they'd come to their opinion, and not the usual "good" or "FAKE" comment with no further comment.
    I wanted to use a Luftadler I was 101% certain IS a genuine one, so as NOT to be cast into doubts myself over it.
    I wanted to centre JUST on the adler to see how many people would actually step up and confidently, hand on heart form an opinion and "be counted"
    I've done this MORE for the guys new or recent to this hobby, and partly as a kick up the arse to the guys out there with a lot of good information on the collecting of this hobby, who are too pre-occupied slapping backs, showboating their own collections or just too lazy to type.

The result surprised even me.
    I've had to kick-start this thread more than a few times to keep it alive, and after your initial message..........it had to be jump-started a few times.................Luftwaffe FJ helmet - opinions please

Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast